Dream Cars

• The guy from ICON motors had an interesting take.... They of course are building 70k cars or more.... nothing is spared... no expense. what they use is LS motors of around 400hp.... They say they get requests for more HP.... childs play with LS motors.... but they say.... better to have torque and tractability than raw HP... I kinda agree.......................... My Healey was a BEAST seriously a beast. Try to kill you beast. My Elky was a 461 big block with mild cam at around 450? hp maybe a tad more... in a 3500 lb truck with a six speed. It drove like a 'normal' say 350? till you punched it. It would cruise at 2k at 80 mph and get 17? or so MPG or nail it and get 10 or so.

The newest project... C10 at around 3150 pounds. Short bed pickup with no weight in the back but a 12 bolt posi and 10" wide tires.... 330 or so hp... maybe 350 4 speed auto shifts at 6 grand. Will burn both those tires for 30 feet or more... but.... lots of low end torque. never feels sluggish like my Tahoe (4800 lbs and 290 hp) According to the GPS gauge thing... it runs 13 sec in the quarter mile at 98 mph... It runs 70 mph at 2k rpm.. most likely it will get 25 mpg... adding 60-70 hp is easy.. but I drove one conversion like that.. it was fun but only when you were really on it.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• I'd like to resto-mod a Karmann Ghia

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

:this

• I have my Camaro SS for insanity. 455hp with 460 ftlbs of torque in a 3350 lb well balanced package with an insane suspension (1LE). It can do more than I am willing to let it do. I'm getting done with that. I do like the notion of an LS engine in an older truck. When the 350 goes out in my 95 Tahoe 2dr, I'll most likely go that way unless there is something really cool in the electric world.

• Just a few days ago, my brother just bought a '76 Porsche 912E.

Going to be an interesting project.

I got very tempted to buy a 928S a few years ago. For some reason the dash didn't work and he wanted 10k for it. Even if I spent another 10 on sorting out the dash it still would have been a cheap Porsche. Some people believe the front mounted V8 made it not really a Porsche.

You can identify an unknown force by firing one shot and judging the response.

- If the unknowns respond with precise, regimented rifle fire, they are British.

- If they respond with heavy machinegun fire, they are German.

- If nothing happens for a few minutes, then your whole position gets leveled by artillery, they are American.

- If they surrender, they're French.

:littlered

• To get back on topic... The Buick GN is one bad ass car. You have to realize that at the time the cars were shit that you could buy. Slow and ugly. SMOG control.... yep it really fucked up American cars. 454 Chevy motors with 200 hp. The GN and the turbo other Buicks were fast for the day. The GN was a gorgeous car. it was just 'right' The Chevy Impala was also a very good looking car but bigger and with a 190 hp 350 in it. I bought a 1982 Highway patrol Impala. Put Bilstiens shocks on it and upped the HP to around 300 or more without fucking up the smog.... I had "Impala SS' script on the side of the 4 door Navy blue car... LOL.... no such thing. My ex at the time got 3 speeding tickets with the car.

IT WAS NOT as fast as a GN but is was fast. It did not look as good as a GN but it was close. It may have handled 'at least' as good as a GN. What it did was seat 5 comfortably for a couple thousand miles. that one made it back and forth to canaduh without a rest. Sometimes we would not even shut it off.

Whenever we seen a GN we looked.. they were and are something special.

lazs

• Oh... yesterday we changed the door hinges on my C10 LS converted pickup... took all day. I want this thing to be 'right'

Sooo.. the GN... it spawned some other turbo sixes. The Cyclone was the fastest American car of the day..... it was a truck.

lazs

• Got a speeding ticket in 1981 driving a new Buick Regal. Worked at a dealer part time while going to school. Every now and then they'd give me a "make ready". Was easy money. Of course I had to drive 'em to see if they had wind noises, etc...

That was the last moving violation ticket I got.

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Resto mods are fun. You can't swing a dead liberal around here without hitting some showroom muscle car.

lazs

My cousin is really into the Tri-5 chevies. He's built 4 or 5 of them. The last one he traded straight across for his new shop in Boise, ID. https://dutchmanaxles.com/

We were having a discussion where we were talking about custom modifying the 57 convertible he was working on and how much it impacted the value of the car. It seems to be when he came to the realization that all original tri-5s were all valued around the same (at the time: $40k-$50k) with only a few exceptions. If you really focused on building a custom resto-mod (wasn't a term at that time) you'd lose the wide market of buyers looking for an all original that didn't stand out from any of the other all originals but you had the opportunity to find that like minded buyer willing to pay a lot more for something different and better.

It's almost strange how that's now become the norm.

• The GN isn't even peppy by today's standards.

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

:this

• Yeah.... I had many many tri fives. almost every one was modified. The parts that did not get modified were often not very dependable.

Just doing an LS conversion to any vehicle will add 25-50% to the value. That will probly go down tho as more and more of em are being done on everything from old trucks to mazdas The cost of a good conversion runs between $3k and 5K depending.... Older cars need a lot more stuff done.

The one solid rule tho is if you are building.... get the best vehicle you can to start with. stuff adds up quick. I probly spent $500 lately just on stuff like door hinges and wiper motor/washer and some brackets etc. I now have a good solid truck with great drive train that needs no work but the interior and paint will are gonna cost. biggley

lazs

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!