Sluggo et al - LP player recommendation

• Depends! Some are great, hydraulic dampeners full floating platters,etc. They made good ones and cheap ones.

I have a PL1200,fully auto direct drive,but whats most important is the cartridge you use. I have several,a couple of shure and an audiotechics or 3 but I use a stanton,it cost more than the TT did back in the day.

• Stanton is DJ wiki wiki shit. Shure is officially out of the cart biz... Some people really like Ortofon but I think it's shit. The old Technics TTs from the 70s are still sought after and are worth more now than new.

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

:this

• Maybe these days stanton is the DJ's choice but back in 1982 or so there wasnt much better on the market. Mine came in a wooden box and was hand calibrated,I had 3 to choose from and I picked the one with the best stereo separation.It has an anti static brush that also cleans the grooves ahead of the needle. IIRC I have to add an extra gram to make up for the brush,it's be awhile since I set it up and would have to look to be sure.

I dont think it would work very well for scratch/spinning discs.

All my cartridges are old,one of the shure's must be pre 1980,I have a few replacement styluses/needles as I had a connection and when he closed out the store he offered up some free shit. He sold me a needle for the stanton at cost and I keep all the shit in an onyx box with my CD collection.

• Spitbull, there are a couple mom/pop type audio/electronic stores in my parts, I'm going to post some pics next week when I get a chance to go in and see what they've got in person. I wouldn't mind getting both a newer unit and one of the ones mentioned above, the one shop said they have a few Technics spinners that are in good working order, but again, I know less than zero about these things, other than I have a bunch of records that I can use on one.

How frequently will the needles/etc wear out on these, and is there anyway I can check important components that should be examined closely/etc in the store?

• I am perfectly happy with my old manual Sansui and Shure cart. I've got a couple spare stylus' for it and a tube pre which I built from a kit.

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

• Little Bear. You can get them assembled now but they do require a little modding to get them to sound good.

• Spitbull, there are a couple mom/pop type audio/electronic stores in my parts, I'm going to post some pics next week when I get a chance to go in and see what they've got in person. I wouldn't mind getting both a newer unit and one of the ones mentioned above, the one shop said they have a few Technics spinners that are in good working order, but again, I know less than zero about these things, other than I have a bunch of records that I can use on one.

How frequently will the needles/etc wear out on these, and is there anyway I can check important components that should be examined closely/etc in the store?

I wouldnt worry too much about the needles,you can play thousands of LP's before they show any noticeable wear. I prefer belt drive but the one I have is a direct drive. Usually the better ones have an isolated platter and plinth for the tone arm,oh and dampened feet. I wouldnt turn my nose up at any quality make and there's nothing wrong with a manual TT,you can get addon tone arm pick ups if you really want one. If it was me I'd look for one with a wooden base but thats just because I think they look nicer than the grey plastic base like mine has.

If you want a new version,try looking at {a touch of modern} a bit expensive but they have many different turntables,they even have a floating platter version,I think it uses maglev tech. Or you can spend big coin and get a 20K plus TT.

You can find a lot of info on Utube and if you happen to find a Thorens for under 500 bucks grab it!!!

• I've got a fair number of records that were my mother's 50s/60s/70s music mostly, and I'd like to add to that little collection with some of my own older piping record/LPs, plus buy some of the newer titles being released/etc.

What's a really good player, and what should I be looking for, and watching out for? Looking at the Denon/Aud-Tech/Sony online on Amazon....I'm a complete noob. We've got a decent Denon receiver at our Calgary home, I wouldn't mind picking up a mid-range unit for my pop's place here in SK, speakers for him perhaps too (wireless?! yes/no?!, Calgary house is all sorted out already for everything except an LP/Record player, father's place needs..everything).

Seeing some of Sluggo's pics of the TV/speakers/player/etc - I wouldn't mind setting up something very similar for my father's main living room. 70" TV is wall mounted on a moveable wall bracket, but that's it other than the local cable company's control box.

My system is permanently installed for two reasons. First of all my wife hates stereo equipment messing up the motif and secondly I have an aversion to visible wires which is only second to my aversion to bad grammar. The speakers are in-wall Theater Solutions which will be swapped out next year for Polk in-walls. I have two 12 in 250 watt BIC subs which are hidden behind the couch. The receiver is a low-end Denon delivering 85 (true) watts each to five channels. I use the receiver's only analog in for my Little Bear phono pre and the circa 1978 Sansui SR-525 manual turntable which is the only stereo gear visible in the room. My main non-analog source is a media server (HP desktop) which is actually in a closet in an adjacent room connected via HDMI. I use it for youtube and streaming Amazon music as well as my complete digital music collection on its hard drive. I use an old PS3 for an optical drive (rarely used) and the TV is a mid-level 75" Samsung 4K Qled which I originally intended to just use as a monitor but the onboard apps work remarkably well... The best part of this system (as opposed to using all old gear) is that playing records in Dolby surround sounds absolutely stunning.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!