Sluggo et al - LP player recommendation

• I've got a fair number of records that were my mother's 50s/60s/70s music mostly, and I'd like to add to that little collection with some of my own older piping record/LPs, plus buy some of the newer titles being released/etc.

What's a really good player, and what should I be looking for, and watching out for? Looking at the Denon/Aud-Tech/Sony online on Amazon....I'm a complete noob. We've got a decent Denon receiver at our Calgary home, I wouldn't mind picking up a mid-range unit for my pop's place here in SK, speakers for him perhaps too (wireless?! yes/no?!, Calgary house is all sorted out already for everything except an LP/Record player, father's place needs..everything).

Seeing some of Sluggo's pics of the TV/speakers/player/etc - I wouldn't mind setting up something very similar for my father's main living room. 70" TV is wall mounted on a moveable wall bracket, but that's it other than the local cable company's control box.

• The most expensive one you can find.

You can identify an unknown force by firing one shot and judging the response.

- If the unknowns respond with precise, regimented rifle fire, they are British.

- If they respond with heavy machinegun fire, they are German.

- If nothing happens for a few minutes, then your whole position gets leveled by artillery, they are American.

- If they surrender, they're French.

:littlered

• Get a Rega. You'll also need a preamp with most modern receivers.

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

:this

• Can't believe how much my Pioneer Turntable is worth nowadays. It runs off the Marantz 2238b.

‘If you’re not a liberal when you’re 25, you have no heart. If you’re not a conservative by the time you’re 35, you have no brain.’

No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot - Mark Twain

TWAT on 10/14/2019 :

Lemme say that again... I don't care. If. The accusations against Trump. Are factual. Or not.

• I love my Sansui.

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

:this

• Back in the 70's everyone in the military who went to Japan came back with a modularized system. When the Yen rate was over 300 to the dollar and tax free you could get top of the line components for half what you'd pay here. I went back in '85 and the rate was still pretty good. A year later Reagan devalued the dollar against the Yen and the deals disappeared.

• The Commissaries we still better than retail, especially back then at Bergstrom.

‘If you’re not a liberal when you’re 25, you have no heart. If you’re not a conservative by the time you’re 35, you have no brain.’

TWAT on 10/14/2019 :

Lemme say that again... I don't care. If. The accusations against Trump. Are factual. Or not.

• ‘If you’re not a liberal when you’re 25, you have no heart. If you’re not a conservative by the time you’re 35, you have no brain.’

TWAT on 10/14/2019 :

• I don't Facebook, but may have Wife join that group. Really I want one because they are astheticly pleasing to me. I really want a nice blackface model, I think it would look great in the living room. Of course any old unit like that is going to need a rebuild, but I'm sure I can handle it.

• How much you wanna pay MF? There a little shop in town that carries all sorts of old stereo equipment.

I took my old McIntosh in last year,I had bought a Thorens TT and it was causing a buzz and lets just say they made me an offer I couldnt refuse.

If he doesnt have it he can get it and he will refurbish it to look new.

• I only wish I could build one,no I bought it in 82/83 ish and used it to power a set of EV interface "D".

The Thorens was a barn find so to speak,second hand shop that had no idea it's value and they were asking 250 buck without the dust cover so I grabbed it. But the Mac was buzzing and the TT made it worse so I brought it into the shop to see what was wrong.

Buddy told me it needed a tube and the TT had a short in the ground somewhere,then said I'll give you X dollars so it as it sits.... I took the coin and thanked him.

I have an old technics TT,and integra amp and I kept my old castle.warfdale spearkers so I can still spin some vinyl if I feel the need.Usually I just listen to some bluetooth speaker and stream Utube. I'd like to get a couple of soundeks but they seem hard to acquire.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!