M1 carbine..

• POS Universal M1 carbine.,.. gas plug screwed out do to the guy pouring motor oil down the barrel to clean it. these guns are close to an M1a.. short stroke.

Anyhow.. the plug cracked and stripped a few threads. Ordered the parts but they would not screw into the gas block so I bought a tap.

Soooo put it together and it works! The stock was crap.. still is but now it is tung oiled after I stripped it.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• note my high tech workbench/dining room table? My brother tried to fix the thing with JB weld and just screwing in the plug.. not good. had to dig out all the epoxy. as you can see the plug is split and broken Also.. had to make a quick and dirty tool to screw the pug in.

lazs

• my uncle was stationed in germany........trained with an m14.....he was an mp...they gave him an m1 carbine. he said he hated it. didn't like the feel of it, said it just didn't feel as good as the m14, and he didn't trust it.

• NIce. First gun I ever shot. 3 years old. The "US karabin" will always have a special place in my heart.

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• I have 2, one universal and one that was in WW2. They are fun guns to shoot.

MNN on 6/18/19

"chump will assuredly lose 2020 barring an event that cancels the election - he just cant keep his scummy yankee mouth shut"

MNN on 6/24/19

Chump is going to tote an ass kicking nov 2020

MNN on 11/14/19

fact is it is within a year of the election, the Senate will not allow him to appoint her successor. Nov 2020 he will lose.

• They are very light and handy. they are really meant for soldiers who don't want to lug a real rifle around because of their occupation a rifle would get in the way.

The 30 carbine round out of the little rifle is about the power level of a .357 mag but much much easier for most people to shoot. Accuracy is decent out to 150 yards.

I think the mini 14 is a better gun in a lot of ways but the little carbine is lighter and handier.

lazs

• It's a great little rifle for under 100-200 yards, where the vast, vast majority of combat happened in WW2 and Korea between infantry troops, although in Korea it did run into problems with the thicker winter clothing and longer ranges. Past that range, not so much, but it did have a place, and not just with support troops who needed something more than a .45 handgun. I think it's the fact that it's a shoulder supported rifle, which gives it all the accuracy and stability advantages, plus recoil management, that makes it a better option than a handgun for those troops, as the lethality increase while there isn't a huge thing. Paratroops had tons of them, the folding ones were great rifles to jump with, very light and compact, and the magazine system and all its advantages can't be overstated either IMO. I'd rather a Garand or even Thompson myself if I was going into battle back then, but I wouldn't have felt completely unarmed or anything with the carbine.

I've read a lot about Vietnam lately, TONS of US advisers in the special forces, particularly in the first few years, used the M1 .30 carbine in combat there, until the M16 and later shorty variants came out.

Mini14 is a good rifle too I agree, I have a Mini30 which IMO is one of the best 762x39 rifles out there for the money, when they banned the AK in Canada tons of us bought them for our x39 ammo stocks to have a purpose. Luckily the Czech x39 rifles like the 858 and VZ58 were allowed in here in the last 10 years, but honestly I still prefer my Mini 30, and have 30 magazines for the 2 I've got. The polymer stainless Mini 30 cost 900$ CDN back in the day, that was $600 USD when I bought mine or so, a GREAT deal for such a rifle. The standard wood/blued ones were even cheaper, I have one of each. Needed to do some spring switching for them to reliably eat surplus Chink x39 ammo, but that's simple and cheap.

• yep..its the age old dilemma of weight vs power that is still unanswered. is the carbine better than a pistol for most people? certainly... and officers who are constantly on the radio or reading maps or whatever... and the guy lugging the radio around. It was a great rifle for people who lug one around a lot but shoot little.

We sent a shitload of em to vietnam. in close quarters jungle especially where moving fast and stealth were important they were great.

Korea... here we get into some facts and some myths. Normally the carbine round is a thirty caliber straight wall case that shoots a 110 grain bullet at around 1900 fps. it is a round nose and velocity falls pretty rapidly after say 200 yards but up to that it is pretty lethal.

in freezing cold... the velocity was likely down a couple hundred FPS The ranges and clear cold air were deceptive. take the lower velocity and then longer ranges and you have people.... well.... missing a lot. They think they are hitting. The truth is that no winter clothing on earth will slow the bullet down enough to even reduce it's effectiveness out to 200 yards. There is no case that I know of where any NK body was examined and their clothing stopped or even slowed the round to an appreciable amount. If that were true then it be even more so with M3 submachine guns and 1911 pistols. Which... no one is claiming. I also think that the thick clothing effectively made the NK soldier look wider than he was. you could hit the coat and not hit any body parts or simply graze his skinny ass body.

Razer has a cop friend tho I think that has a NK winter jacket that stopped a bunch of 50 BMG rounds point blank.

lazs

• That's interesting, and something I'm going to move on to next, Korea so far as reading goes. Clothing IS an issue so far as stopping penetration, it's a pretty common subject in colder climates so far as defensive ammunition, and engaging with any type of round. That said, how thick could the Chink and DPRK clothing really be, they were pretty cheap on outfighting their troops, certainly not layers and layers of round stopping material that you have to consider these days, not at all. Most of the Korean vets here I've talked to have never brought up the range/lethality with the M1 carbine as they weren't issued it, the Canadian army in particular PPCLI vets I know were still using .303 in both rifles and GPMGs then, and they killed so many enemy troops in some actions that they built walls with their frozen bodies, and not just once or twice.

• The thing about thick winter clothing is that it acts as the arming jacket the knights of old would wear under their armor. So if your bullet hits a magazine or a canteen or any other metal part of the soldier's kit, the thick winter clothes makes it act like padded armor. In a civilian setting thick clothing makes expanding bullets expand inside the clothing before entering the body.

Back in October 1993 the Norwegian publisher William Nygaard survived an assassination attempt (he was the publisher of the book "Satanic Verses") where he was shot three times in the back with a Dan Wesson .44 mag revolver. He survived (just barely) because the hollow point bullets expanded and expended most of their energy passing though Nygaard's heavy winter coat.

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Fun fact: Federal wanted to interview Nygaard and inspect their Hydra-Shok bullets that failed to kill him. He refused their request.

• nether of you is wrong. I know a cop who took four 44 mag rounds in the back.., he was wearing threat level 2 he is crippled for life but survived. A carbine round is not so different.

So far as expanding rounds and clothing? sometimes they plug up but...... that does not mean they fail.. it meas they don't expand.. at worst......they act like FMJ

There are plenty of vids on rounds hitting magazines. A 9mm? it gets stopped. A .357? no way.. a .30 carbine? not a fucking chance. will punch right through a magazine and clothing. Myths abound. I am lucky to be able to check such myths real world.. I think what I need to do is freeze some 30 carbine loads and check how they work.

lazs

• Let me say.. FMJ... HP..........hard cast.......they all act different. A 44 mag hard cast will penetrate vitals of big game and exit.. Yes.. some energy is wasted half a mile downrange but.. the animal dies just as if a 300 mag expanded to 44 size.. Unless you actually try something................................................don't go by myths.

lazs

• Newly created posts will remain inaccessible for others until approved by a moderator.

The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.