Considering the Rate of Advancement In Space Travel Throughout the Fifties and Sixties...

• How is it possible we haven't gone to Mars yet?

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

:this

• We'll go to Mars but who wants to live there? The most inhospitable places on the surface of this planet are a paradise compared to Mars.

• I think it's a combination of the Vietnam War cost, and people just losing interest in everything to do with the moon landings. It seems very bizarre looking back because that was such a technological feat to land men on the moon.

We took a left turn.

• Who says we don't have secret bases on Mars? Who says Venus isn't colonized? Who says Uranus hasn't been thoroughly explored?

I'll bet it has.

My proudest moment-

"Elfenwolf,

You have no need to continue to prove you have nothing of any merit to post on this board. You may desist and be content to know that all reading the AH bbs know how little you could possibly offer to anything."

-Maverick

• For the simple reason that we can't afford it. America is ***CRUSHED*** beneath the weight of welfare and entitlement spending.

For example, in a non-covid year, if they cut every single cent of the Defense / Military Budget, all of our Welfare / Social spending would STILL put the United States into more debt.

• We'll go to Mars but who wants to live there? The most inhospitable places on the surface of this planet are a paradise compared to Mars.

There's quite a few places in the US alone that I'd rather head to Mars than live in.

• I think a major reason is we haven't been challenged for our survival in a long time. Big leaps in technology tend to happen during times of great war for instance (WWI, WWII, Cold War etc). Pretty unlikely to make huge leaps and bounds when we're fat dumb and happy.

• I have said many time.

Sooner or later the big yellow ball in the sky will burn out. The ONLY way humanity survives is to get off this rock and out of the solar system. It may be millions of years from now or tomorrow but it will happen.

• I have said many time.

Sooner or later the big yellow ball in the sky will burn out. The ONLY way humanity survives is to get off this rock and out of the solar system. It may be millions of years from now or tomorrow but it will happen.

Best estimate is we have about 1-5 billion more years. We will be long extinct by then.

• $15,000,000,000,000 Can buy a lot of votes.

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

:this

• Are those the same people who brought us covid estimates?

No this is long established scientific theory that pretty much nobody disagrees with - the life cycle of stars is well understood.

Five Billion years is a very long time away... in fact the earth is close to that age, so many epochs will pass until then (we will be without question long extinct by then or will have possibly evolved into another form of life). My bet is several life ending asteroids will hit the earth long before then. Maybe a massive gamma ray hit by some Quasar, or some such shit. We don't stand a chance long term.

• 5 billion years is so long that probably life on earth will be mostly wiped out several times and new life will flourish. Probably 2 or more very intelligent species will come around and study our relics/ruins/fossils in amazement. Make sure you carve a few big middle fingers in stone before you go so they know we care about them.

• Ultimately we're fucked.

My proudest moment-

"Elfenwolf,

You have no need to continue to prove you have nothing of any merit to post on this board. You may desist and be content to know that all reading the AH bbs know how little you could possibly offer to anything."

-Maverick

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!