Top US general warned of ‘Reichstag moment’ in Trump’s turbulent last days

• Top US general warned of ‘Reichstag moment’ in Trump’s turbulent last days | Donald Trump | The Guardian

Shortly before the deadly attack on the US Capitol on 6 January, the chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, Gen Mark Milley, told aides the US was facing a “Reichstag moment” because Donald Trump was preaching “the gospel of the Führer”, according to an eagerly awaited book about Trump’s last year in office.

The excerpts from I Alone Can Fix This, by Carol Leonnig and Philip Rucker, were reported by New York magazine on Wednesday. The authors’ employer, the Washington Post, published the first extract from the book a day earlier. It will be published next week.

Milley’s invocation of Germany under the Third Reich follows a report in another book, Frankly, We Did Win This Election, by Michael C Bender, that Trump told his chief of staff, John Kelly, “Hitler did a lot of good things”.

Trump denies having made the remark.

Leonnig and Rucker report that Milley spoke to an “old friend”, who warned the general that Trump and his allies were trying to “overturn the government” in response to Joe Biden’s election victory, which Trump falsely maintains was the result of electoral fraud.

Milley is reported to have said: “They may try, but they’re not going to fucking succeed. You can’t do this without the military. You can’t do this without the CIA and the FBI. We’re the guys with guns.”

Reportedly calling Trump supporters “Brownshirts”, a reference to paramilitaries who served Hitler in Germany in the 1930s, Milley is reported to have believed long before the Capitol attack that “Trump was stoking unrest, possibly in hopes of an excuse to invoke the Insurrection Act and call out the military”.

Milley notoriously appeared with Trump in Lafayette Square in Washington in June 2020, after anti-racism protesters had been aggressively cleared and as Trump walked to a church to stage a photo op with a Bible.

The general apologised for that incident. It has been widely reported that he resisted Trump’s efforts then to invoke the Insurrection Act and crack down on the protests.

Milley’s “Reichstag moment” remark refers to a fire at the German parliament which the Nazis used to consolidate their authoritarian rule in 1933.

Trump’s supporters attacked Congress on 6 January, the day the electoral college results were certified . Five people died.

Leonnig and Rucker report that Milley called the attackers “Nazis” and, in reference to two far-right groups, said “they’re boogaloo boys, they’re Proud Boys”.

“These are the same people we fought in [the second world war],” he reportedly said.

According to New York magazine, the authors also report that Milley, who made headlines and stoked rightwing ire last month by defending teaching about historic racism in army educational establishments, met former first lady Michelle Obama at the Capitol on 20 January, the day Biden was inaugurated.

“No one has a bigger smile today than I do,” Milley reportedly said. “You can’t see it under my mask but I do.”

Trump: “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” 3:01PM Nov. 8 2013

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" ~ Abe Lincoln

tRump is the Master of the Con with 70 years of practice/experience. It is sad that so many supposedly intelligent and educated people fall for his cons.

DJ Trump: while I support the Dems, if I ran I would run as a Republican because those people are easy to fool.

• Read the books and learn.

Two books about Donald Trump came out Tuesday — Michael Bender’s “Frankly We Did Win This Election,” and Michael Wolff’s “Landslide.” Another — “I Alone Can Fix It: Donald J. Trump’s Catastrophic Final Year” by The Washington Post’s Carol D. Leonnig and Philip Rucker — comes out next week.

All three mostly concentrate on Trump’s final year in office, a year that included COVID-19, a national reckoning on race and the 2020 presidential election.

And what do these books tell us?

Well, here’s the headline on an opinion piece by CNN’s Chris Cillizza: “Yes, Donald Trump’s final days in office were even worse than we thought.”

Cillizza writes, “And all three (books) present what can only be described as a terrifying picture of a president consumed by personal hatred and unwilling to even consider the limits his predecessors had placed on themselves in office.”

Wolff’s book is the third he has written about Trump, following up “Fire and Fury” and “Siege.” In a review of the book for The New York Times, Nicholas Lemann writes, “Trump, in these pages, is self-obsessed, delusional and administratively incompetent. He has no interest in or understanding of the workings of government. He doesn’t read or listen to briefings. He spends vast amounts of time watching conservative television networks and chatting on the phone with cronies. The pandemic puts him at a special disadvantage; many of the people around him are either sick or afraid to come to work because that would entail complying with a regime of Covid noncompliance that Trump demands. If anybody tells him something he doesn’t want to hear, he marginalizes or fires that person and finds somebody else to listen to, who may or may not hold an official position. If Fox News becomes less than completely loyal, he’ll switch to Newsmax or One America News Network. He lives in a self-curated information environment that bears only a glancing relationship to reality.”

Meanwhile, Bender, a senior White House reporter for The Wall Street Journal, told CBS News that his biggest takeaway from Trump’s final year in the White House was “how dangerous the people around the president thought he was for the country.”

On Tuesday, The Washington Post ran an excerpt of the book written by its two reporters — Leonnig and Rucker. In it, we see how Trump dug in on the Big Lie, especially when it became apparent he was going to lose. The excerpt went into detail on last November’s election night.

One of the more bizarre moments was how Rudy Giuliani went around to some of Trump’s top advisers, suggesting they just declare Trump the winner in such states as Pennsylvania and Michigan. At one point, then-White House chief of staff Mark Meadows raised his voice to say, “We can’t do that. We can’t.”

When Trump spoke at 2 a.m., he was angry that votes were still being counted and said, “As far as I’m concerned, we already have won it.”

In an interview, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi told the Post reporters, “It was just a complete, total manifestation (of) insanity.”

And as we now know, it was only the beginning of Trump’s insistence that he had won the election. And that wasn’t the only head-shaking part of the excerpt. In fact, Mediaite’s Colby Hall has a piece called, “Just Say We Won’: 9 Most Bonkers Revelations from Trump Election Night Tell-All, ‘I Alone Can Fix It.’”

Why the title “Landslide?” Well, partly because Trump actually thought he was going to win the election in a landslide. The book reports Trump as telling allies, “I can’t lose to this (expletive) guy.”

The books appear to be a fascinating look into the final year and days of the Trump presidency, as well as what the future could hold. As Lemann wrote in his Times review of Wolff’s book: “Wolff doesn’t make a direct prediction. But he leaves us with the strong impression that Trump will be running for president again in 2024.”

Trump: “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” 3:01PM Nov. 8 2013

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" ~ Abe Lincoln

tRump is the Master of the Con with 70 years of practice/experience. It is sad that so many supposedly intelligent and educated people fall for his cons.

DJ Trump: while I support the Dems, if I ran I would run as a Republican because those people are easy to fool.

• Well... now we know where milo gets all his fake news.

Starting out with 'the deadly attacks on the capital' LOL..... one person killed and it was an unarmed protester. three or four other protesters had medical issues. One cop had a heart attack. Not one protester was armed. Not one has been charged with insurrection or terrorist acts.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• One article said a hundred police officers were injured. From what I saw there wasn't even a hundred officers there.

Those folks being locked either need to be charged or released. This is tyranny otherwise.

If I had to guess I'd say they were interrogating the captives to attempt to get something on Trump. I also heard they are making the prisoners read really leftist books.

• They say they have arrested 500 people. There were never 500 people at the thing. Hell.... a biden rally only gets a dozen or so.

lazs

The Orange Clown said there was 1,000,000 of his cult followers there. He exaggerated, as usual.

• Milo said that while there a million people at the Trump rally only a few went to the capital. His honesty is starting to be real.

He still claims that the true dough is dreamy tho....

lazs

• Trump: “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” 3:01PM Nov. 8 2013

• No, it means they didn't get conned by the Master of the Con. :)

• Milo, you got conned by the WApo, NYT, CNN, MSNBC cadre into thinking they tell the truth.

You don't seem to have any ability to question sources if they say what you want them to say.

Confirmation bias seems to be your credo.

• And you believe FAUX News without question. :D At least I don't remember you doing so.

I know what the Orange Clown was like before he became the Prez. So no, the sources you say conned me are confirming what I already knew about the Orange Clown.

• And you believe FAUX News without question. :D At least I don't remember you doing so.

I know what the Orange Clown was like before he became the Prez. So no, the sources you say conned me are confirming what I already knew about the Orange Clown.

Your memory is faulty.

I look at many different sources of information and then perform the "sniff test" and make up my own mind.

I do not take either Hannity or Maddow at their word. (I haven't watched Hannity for more than about 10 minutes in the last quadrennial) Every once in a while I fight the nausea and watch Maddow for a few minutes and see what the other side is saying, but not really at all for the last year or two.

(In the next line, I use Hannity and Maddow figuratively.)

You on the other hand, seem to hate Hannity with a Trump like intensity and take Maddow's utterances as the spoken word of God.

All I ask (and that would seem too much) is that you show a little balance and realize that when you read a story from MSNBC that it might be slanted ever so slightly.

• All I ask (and that would seem too much) is that you show a little balance and realize that when you read a story from MSNBC that it might be slanted ever so slightly.

And I ask the same for those of the tRump cult. :)

• Milo said that he has to admit that Fox has been proven to get the story right 90% of the time and that the failing left wing media has gotten it wrong and on purpose.... almost 100% of the time. like that poor cop who was killed with a fire extinguisher. They all ran with that story except FOX or the Steele dossier.... too many to mention..... Trumps tax returns.... that is a real nail biter for 5 years huh?

Every book that some scum bag writes that claims they were there and this is what Trump said..... has been proven false by people who were actually there. How bout that Trump guy calling our troops in WW2 in france a bunch of losers huh? cept.... he never said it. but every left wing source carried the exact same story from anonymous sources and I bet a hundred dollars to a donut that milo bought into it at the time.

lazs

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!