• If he's into first person shooters or just decent non sim games, Half Life Alyx is a great place to start. For sims, AH, DCS, IL2s set of flight sims, all look and work great. It does take some getting used to, and sometimes some tweaking, but it's pretty straightforward now with most games. Just comes down to what resolution you want to set and run at, there are a ton of good guides out there on how to optimize this. Also greatly depends on the system specs, of course the GPU primarily but CPU/Ram somewhat too.

Beat Saber is a great/simple good game to start with too, everyone has a good time playing it in my experience.

The Index is a great unit, I still have mine, although I usually use the G2 for flight sims, it's very close in terms of performance IMO, and the Index is by far the best built unit in terms of quality, and it has other things that are better than the G2 as well for many (field of view/etc).

Even in Ah3 which is a bit dated in terms of graphics, the first time you use VR in it you're going to be pretty surprised. DCS is pretty crazy the first time too. Also forgot Star Wars Squadrons, great game that's on sale a lot, and it supports VR and it's fantastic. Elite Dangerous as well can be bought very cheaply and works great in VR.

• I prefer the HOTAS because there is nothing to ground the controllers to. That means when you are looking around instead of straight ahead you don't know what your hands are doing. Try it both ways though.

• Hmmm... I bet a guy could 3d print a couple adapters to clamp the Index controllers to a gaming chair. Coupled with some springs, this might work as a rudimentary joystick?

Thing is... how do you flip switches and the like if your eyes are stuck behind a VR headset? Starting an F-16 by Brail doesn't seem like much fun? Do I leave a hand controller laying on the desk, to be picked up and utilized as needed? Or do I forego the Index controllers completely and use the mouse and cursor to flip switches and press buttons inside a cockpit.

Sorry for the Uber noob questions, but I have no idea how any of this works.

• There are alternative devices. This one is popular but long waiting list. My brother is on the list.

https://pointctrl.com/

I use Voice Attack for things that don't require immediate and frequent activation, like landing gear, various non combat switches, etc... and my HOTAS for things I use frequently and need assurance they were activated. But, I'm not satisfied with my Quest 2 so back to Track IR I went.

• There are alternative devices. This one is popular but long waiting list. My brother is on the list.

https://pointctrl.com/

I use Voice Attack for things that don't require immediate and frequent activation, like landing gear, various non combat switches, etc... and my HOTAS for things I use frequently and need assurance they were activated. But, I'm not satisfied with my Quest 2 so back to Track IR I went.

Yeah, it may just turn into an expensive novelty. If that's the case, I still have that used TrakIR that Wife found for me on Marketplace. I have yet to set it up though.

• There are a lot of people using VR in DCS and swear by them. My dissatisfaction with the Quest 2 is its relatively small "sweet spot". This is compounded by my need for corrective lenses. The closer your eye to the VR lens the larger the sweet spot. Glasses necessarily move your eyes back from the VR lens. I've thought about trying contact lenses.

• The sweet spot is the area in the center that is in sharp focus. I never got used to progressive lenses either because the ones I tried had a small sweet spot also. Actually requiring me to turn my head when reading.

• Both the Vive and Reverb have a larger sweet spot than the Quest 2 so I've read.

There is a setup curve with VR in DCS. Learning to use the GUI menu interfaces, centering the view, etc.... Just takes some getting used to. VR is much better for close formation flying like air refueling. Makes judging distances and closure rates far more natural.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!