John Has a Long Moustache

• Well the first casualties on 6 June 1944 were all elements participating in operation Neptune.

A DD was struck by shore battery fire and sank rapidly. Also the precursors to the UDTS/SEALS lost men clearing obstacles.

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• https://www.historyonthenet.com/naval-artillery

Interesting site, shows all the support vessels that were firing in support of the DDay landings. It has them broken up by beach/etc. A LOT of firepower.

This is Sword beach's supporting fire ships. Crazy. 3 Battleships, 5 cruiser, a pile of destroyers. Storch's picture at the top of this page, post #21, is of USS Nevada @ Sword beach. 10 14" guns, 16 5" guns, 32 40mm guns, and 40 20mm guns.

I'm reading "Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors" again right now. My favorite paragraph is about the gunnery officer on USS Johnston, who targeted an individual Jap Officer waving his sword on a beach trying to rally his troops. Put all 5 5" guns on him, let the gun director computer do its thing, then hit him/right by him, with all 5 rounds. Captain said "nice shooting, but don't use so much ammunition on one Jap again". The firepower on a Fletcher destroyer is unreal, the description of it in action in this book is fantastic. It's difficult to imagine what it'd be like on the receiving end of a battleship, or even a cruiser.

• https://pjmedia.com/news-and-p…urage-came-alive-n1452448

Under a bright sun, the 96-year-old Penobscot Native American from Indian Island, Maine, stood steadily while the hymns of the Allied countries were played Friday in front of the monument commemorating the assault in Carentan that allowed the Allies to establish a continuous front joining nearby Utah Beach to Omaha Beach.

Shay regretted that the pandemic “is interrupting everything.” He is expected to be the only veteran at Sunday’s anniversary day ceremony at the Normandy American Cemetery of Colleville-sur-Mer.

It’s estimated that only about 2,500 survivors of the D-Day assault are still alive. Will anyone remember them and what they did after they’re gone?

• Also, somewhat on topic still, regarding what it was like for the Germans under the bombardment of so many naval guns -

This vid is of a battery (4 guns) of Finnish 5" guns during a shoot ex. The cameras are mostly set up in the target area. At :029 you can even see one of the rounds coming in. Anyhow, pretty telling of what just a 4 gun battery can do, ie a couple of twin 5" turrets on a ship alone.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I have been busy with the 'ships on the air' event this week where different ships radio rooms are manned with amateur operators. The ships I got were:

SS John Brown

USS Texas

USS Yorktown

USS Clamagore (I strongly suspect this operator was aboard Yorktown because it was the same guy)

USS Laffey

USS Edson

USS Turner Joy

USS Lexington

USS North Carolina

SS Selma

NSS Savannah

SS American Victory

CSS Neuse

USS LST325

USS Alabama

USS New Jersey

USS Wisconsin

Tall Ship Elissa

CSS Hunley

USS Drum

There are still a few ships on the air, I didn't get all of them (not even close) but I spent too much time dicking around trying to get the foreign ships participating - I got gooseegged on those. There were many more ships and memorials I could have gotten if not for wasted time. Maybe next year I'll knock out the easy ones first. I also had trouble getting through to ships in the massachusetts area, pity because several were there and I could hear them fine, I may have gotten 1 or two of those, will have to look up locations of all of the ships I did get.

• External Content youtu.be

• Paul Golz: A German View of D-Day

Paul Golz: A German View of D-Day (historynet.com)

Trump: “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” 3:01PM Nov. 8 2013

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" ~ Abe Lincoln

tRump is the Master of the Con with 70 years of practice/experience. It is sad that so many supposedly intelligent and educated people fall for his cons.

DJ Trump: while I support the Dems, if I ran I would run as a Republican because those people are easy to fool.

• DDay%2BBeach%2BMore%2Bclear.jpg

Trump: “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” 3:01PM Nov. 8 2013

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" ~ Abe Lincoln

tRump is the Master of the Con with 70 years of practice/experience. It is sad that so many supposedly intelligent and educated people fall for his cons.

DJ Trump: while I support the Dems, if I ran I would run as a Republican because those people are easy to fool.

• juno-3%20D-Day%20Canadian%20Assaults%20Map.jpg

• map_d-day_naval_bombardments.jpg

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!