Mowed The Yard

• I have three gas trimmers on the back porch and they are more trouble than they are worth. Seriously considering going to electric either this summer or next.

I tell you I'm glad the gas trimmers are gone. It was always something, hard to start, mixing gas and oil, blowing out the carb, priming, and then tugging that rope umpteen times.

I bought a Ryobi 40 volt last year. Love the thing. As I posted earlier, the battery was still charged after a long winter.

I was so used to pulling the rope that when I first used the Ryobi I started to reach for the rope.

• Thing is... those damn Homelites will not run for mysterious reasons one day, then run like a champ the next.

You have fuel, you have spark, you have air... WHY YOU NO RUN?

Gimme the junk ass, thirty year old Weed Wacker. I'll bend over and hate life, but at least it runs... sorta... kinda good enough to trim the damn grass.

Fuck... I hate grass.

• 97 Homelite was what I replaced. I could no longer get the parts for it.

Backyard Commandos INC, HMFIC

I disagree but I respect your right to be stupid.

Winners focus on winning, losers focus on winners.

It's hard for liberals with mental disorders to think that other people don't also have the same mental disorders. - Danneskjold 2018

• I miss tugging the rope.

"The members of Congress know, from their colleagues in Congress, that, uh, you know, the, looks like a tornado, they don't call them that anymore, that hit the crops and wetlands in the middle of the country, in Iowa and Nevada. It's just across the board,"

• The 40 volt stuff is plenty powerful for all but a ranch or something. The batteries charge in no time and last full strength till they die.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• If you get a gasser trimmer,get a 4 stroker with a straight shaft.next would be a 2 stroke with a straight shaft but then you have to mix the gas/oil and have all the issues of storage if you live where there's winter.Curved shaft trimmers are just a failure waiting to happen.

Echo is ok,not the greatest but ok,the JApan company does assemble some of them in the USA but they use parts that all the great Chinamen make. I've had a few trimmer and saws made but echo apart and while easy enough to fix they tend to score the cylinders and it becomes cheaper to just replace instead of fix.

If I was going to buy a new gasser trimmer it would be a stihl,saws too as they seem to be among the best there is these days.Long gone are the days you could buy a saw/mower or trimmer and expect it to last forever. Shit even Honda is having their small motors built in China and they are junk! Ya who thought plastic gears were a good idea???

I have a toro mower,with an Ali deck and a toro battery trimmer,I can do the whole yard and the trimmer still has about 10 to 15 mins of charge left and my trimmer has a wheel and swivel head so I can use it as an edger.I have an old,like 40 years craftsman edger still runs like a champ but it need a cord and I was tired of dragging the cord around the yard.

Later today I'm off to a friends place to help him fix his 60yo band saw,set screw is fucked so I'll likely have to retap the threads and replace the set screw,he's my butcher so...... payment in meat.

• There are a few 4 stroke trimmers on the market,likely see more as the 2 strokers get phazed out. TBH I havent had a 4 stroke trimmer apart yet but they would be simpler to maintain.I havent even run one to see how they feel. My toro gas trimmer buzzes my hands too much and my fingers lock up so it just sits gathering dust.

• Yeah? I’ve found that most machines will last longer if you simply do the recommended maintenance. That Homelite I retired was over 23 years old. My current work car is12 years old with 230K, before that I had a 20 year old Mitsubishi with 200K on it. I get about 10 years from my mowers though, somehow manage to find a 3” stump and bend the crank before they are 10.

Backyard Commandos INC, HMFIC

I disagree but I respect your right to be stupid.

Winners focus on winning, losers focus on winners.

It's hard for liberals with mental disorders to think that other people don't also have the same mental disorders. - Danneskjold 2018

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!