US Army's new augmented reality goggles

• These things have a few different modes that I read about in another article, I'm trying to find it in my history. They can be full color even in very low light conditions, and mix a light intensifier system with an IR system, giving the best of both worlds, again with color available as well. The US Army also has the next generation machine gun (and carbine) coming along quickly too now, be a good combination of a very advanced night fighting (and day probably) advanced vision system with a new MG/rifle and round that can defeat up armored near/peer threats.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• It's a modified Hololens 2. Microsoft landed the contract awhile back. Practical for field use? Not if it's humid.

Still love that MS won the contract, I have an app that competes with a company called Advanced Research Associates whom lost that competition with a much inferior product.

yeah.jpg

• It's a modified Hololens 2. Microsoft landed the contract awhile back. Practical for field use? Not if it's humid.

Still love that MS won the contract, I have an app that competes with a company called Advanced Research Associates whom lost that competition with a much inferior product.

yeah.jpg

Interesting, didn't know some of that.

I should have posted that the ENVG-B and these goggles are 2 different things. The ENVG-B is in service with some units, and the "Enhanved night vision goggles" fuze the IR and NV tubes/tech together.

https://www.l3harris.com/all-c…n-goggle-binocular-envg-b

https://www.thedrive.com/the-w…aight-out-of-a-video-game

https://asc.army.mil/web/portf…ght-vision-goggle-envg-b/

• Since the first Gulf war (even before), a huge part of the US military's advantage was/is the ability to fight at night much better than the opponents. That gap has been closed in recent years, and not just by peer threats like China/Russia - even the threats in Afghanistan/etc have been using night vision and other higher tech things much more in recent years.

These new units that give a superior night vision capability to US/Nato forces is important, as again the threats have been closing the gap in this regard, and reducing the US/Nato's overmatch at night. That's why I also mentioned the new next gen MG/Rifle and ammunition, as these peer threats are pretty much equal to Western forces with their body armor/etc too.

• Pulsar and other companies embed wifi now in their nvg so you can stream to a phone or tablet. It would be very easy to render that display translucent overlaid or picture in picture straight into Hololens 2 just using Unity3D as a dev environment. Last I checked they were deploying S20 Tactical phones wired to tactical radio sets to go further with live uplinks and integrate ATAC. I make a gamified version of ATAC for people that want to livestream airsoft and paintball events.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!