Take home pay for $200K by state

• My Dad took early retirement from Borden. He retired with north of $500k in his 401 after only ten years of parity matching by Borden.

He lived off of his transacting currencies converting whatever currency to dollars out of a small storefront on SoBe and administered by a female niece. He and my Uncle were partners. My Daddy was an international banker in Cuba and for a few years in South and Central America after the Cuban fiascos.

That little box still runs. Aside from that he started a cigar wholesale business and was in on the cigar bubble in the mid nineties.

He worked almost until his last day and within the time of his last month.

America is spelled opportunity

• I could probly charge people for what I do for free for a lot of folks like fixing their guns. But naaa.... I am retired. I am one of those people who worked to live not lived to work.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• I finally made an SSI account, let's you see all the stuff you get on that annual summary they send you. I made $34 in 1976 washing dishes at the Hayloft Dinner Theater. (Those 3 nights is where I learned my hatred of ragheads---Iranian chefs.) Anyhow, I could retire in 18 months at 62 and get $1700 something a month, OR I could retire at 66 and get $2500 something. OR, I could retire at 70 and get....meh

• Yeah.... I got lucky. My retirement is based on a percent of my last years income and on years of service. When I turned 60 I got a 14% raise which was a lot.... also Calpers was fat and wanted to sell off 'years' You could buy 'years' of service. I transfered money from my 401 tax free and bought 5 years.... It was a lot of money at the time.... LIke $175k but it would add over a grand a month to my retirement.

So I rolled the dice.... Would I live long enough to make come out? Did I really trust the stock market anyway? The grand or so extra a month was secure... And it really made things pretty comfortable with no worry.

lazs

• Again.... I kinda got lucky.... if you look at the last stock market crash that is right after I retired. A year of so before I retired.... basically when I was sure that I was getting close.... I put everything into 'safe' bonds and such. I knew people who lost 40-50k that next year.

lazs

• I have really enjoyed being retired. I have never wanted to turn any hobby into a money maker and I have never enjoyed working for people or running a business. Some do.

I have always felt that 90% of the clock punchers who do not retire do so for two reasons. First being they hate their home lives... stay away... Second being they have no life and the only place they get any "respect' (real or fake) is at work where they have peter principal'ed themselves to a position of power.

lazs

• You don't need to work hard. You need to work intelligently consistently and keep your word.

Yes but a curious thing: People who work hard (compared to others) don't see themselves as working hard. They just have a much higher personal standard, and have something losers don't have: Pride in themselves. What they see as "Normal" or "Adequate" is seen as "Hard Work" by losers.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!