Slamfire... 9/25/21

• So, I need a mill. Make small parts and such. Some steel some aluminum some brass and last plastics polymers.

I can spend 8-10k

Any suggestions?

Lemme sip on that a minute. My knee jerk response is to get a Bridgeport. After decking it out with all the tooling and accessories, you will eat your budget.

I assume you don't want CNC?

• See that's the thing... The Imperial System was designed from the ground up to be usable in the real world. Everything about it relates to something that you can work with intuitively. With the Metric system, it was designed to be used on paper to make life easier for the paper monkeys.

• Yup bridgeport or GTFO. My buddy with the shop has an old.1960's ish bridgeport,not sure what his lathe is but it's old as fuck too and both work great once zeroed in.

Storch look around at some machine shop thats going out of business and grab a good used one. After the first part you make a new one is going to look like it's used anyways.

• Auctions are were it's at. I assume you don't need a huge bed on it? You should be able to pick up a really good bridgeport for far south of 10k. Probably a pretty good one for around 5k.

• Auctions are were it's at. I assume you don't need a huge bed on it? You should be able to pick up a really good bridgeport for far south of 10k. Probably a pretty good one for around 5k.

Yup. Then start tooling it up and away you go.

A Bridgeport, with material, tools, and a competent operator can build another Bridgeport.

It's quite the awesome thing really.

• See that's the thing... The Imperial System was designed from the ground up to be usable in the real world. Everything about it relates to something that you can work with intuitively. With the Metric system, it was designed to be used on paper to make life easier for the paper monkeys.

How many gallons of water in a 6 by 4 by 2 yard pool? And how many pounds does that weigh? Who the fuck knows without a calculator and a cheat sheet of conversion tables.

How many liters in a 6 by 4 by 2 meter pool? 6x4x2=48. Answer is 48,000 liters. Also 48 metric tons of water, or 48,000 kilos if you prefer. Easy.

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” - Abraham Lincoln

Paraphrased from his 1838 speech at the Young Men’s Lyceum of Springfield, Illinois.

• I'm glad you like it.

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” - Abraham Lincoln

Paraphrased from his 1838 speech at the Young Men’s Lyceum of Springfield, Illinois.

• lol

• How many gallons of water in a 6 by 4 by 2 yard pool? And how many pounds does that weigh? Who the fuck knows without a calculator and a cheat sheet of conversion tables.

How many liters in a 6 by 4 by 2 meter pool? 6x4x2=48. Answer is 48,000 liters. Also 48 metric tons of water, or 48,000 kilos if you prefer. Easy.

Yeah but you still have to convert from metric to get the REAL quantity.

• If liters aren't real do I still have to pay for the gas?