An old friend is in my shop for some restoration. B-25

• Nearing completion of both.

Drediock here is a small example of making a part. This was for the missing antenna. I think it's an antenna. I just used a piece of plastic sprue to form it.

antenna.jpg antenna-1.jpg

antenna-3.jpgantenna-4.jpg

Here is Quitch - almost back to new again., I originally made this in 2006. I've got the gear back on, the nose (after having to saw it off, and some new guns. This was a real challenge. I also refinished the surface and touched up the paint.

The canopy and not glass had to be redone.

Quitch-almost-back-to-herself.jpg

The second model is almost there too, It's a different plane from the same squadron. I didn't think I'd remember how I mixed the paint on the 2006 build. It takes on different shades as it get's coated with clear, flat and some weathering work - and I was really pleased how well the colors matched. Even that orange/yellow cowling. That was custom mixed too.

The one on the right does not have the fading/weathering yet. It has a gloss coat for decals and some soot painted around the engines. The decals and white paint are bright white right now, but I'll get them to look faded and cool as I go

PC-almost.jpg

twins.jpg

• Did you modulate the olive drab (blending different shades with the new airbrush) ? It looks like it and yhey look great.

You can identify an unknown force by firing one shot and judging the response.

- If the unknowns respond with precise, regimented rifle fire, they are British.

- If they respond with heavy machinegun fire, they are German.

- If nothing happens for a few minutes, then your whole position gets leveled by artillery, they are American.

- If they surrender, they're French.

:littlered

• Did you modulate the olive drab (blending different shades with the new airbrush) ? It looks like it and yhey look great.

Thank you. I did. I don't have a new airbrush though. The one I have is about 20 years old or more.

Most of that effect of shading is from the oil paint wash I put on it. I used oil paint ( burnt umber and black) to make a very thin panel line wash. Then let it sit for a few minutes and gently rub it around the panel lines, then wipe in in the airflow direction.

I paint the main colors using acrylics and then gloss coat that with the floor polish. Oil paints and mineral spirits do not affect the acrylic paint, so you can wipe it down and not mess up the colors, It gives a very natural and cool fading and shading to the color.

On the bottom paint, I used more of a burnt umber color. Same with the landing gear. So it wont contrast too much.

I also paint super thin coats of darker shades around some panel lines with the airbrush - very subtle. Low airflow. Just shade a little.

Here is the initial paint coat

initial-paint.jpg

Here's the bottom of the new model after an initial oil wash. This was a single shade of neutral gray before the oil wash

bottom-oil-1.jpg

bottom-oil-wash.jpg

Here's some pics of the original model with the nose cracked off in order to get to the landing gear. I was worried about doing this, but it went back together pretty nicely.

Quitch-nose-off-2.jpg

Quituich-nose-off.jpg

One other thing about the floor polish. I had some pebbling with that, so I wiped down the model with a cotton swap with a very slight amount of ammonia on it. This took off a very small layer and make it smooth as glass. If you're painting it right, it will look like glass - but you have to put a wet coat on . I thin it a bit with water and I increase the air pressure to about 20lbs. I also test it on something else first. I want a wet, clear coat for the decals and to protect the paint.

• I wish I had the time and patience to get into that, but right now at least I do not. Someday maybe...

The ideal thing would be to have a room or area set aside just for that. You could leave your stuff set up and just go back to it when you have a little time.

My tiny place requires me to break everything down each day.

It's a very relaxing, fun hobby. I love doing it. I listen to my Bluetooth speaker and I'll work all night on them sometimes. Very much love doing it.

• heh, technically I'm a Muppet now, Xargos started flyin again, always liked him. I think the two of us and Violator are the only active members. I promised him I would stay off their forums, heh. Apparently most of those dudes are still there. Anyhow I bought a used combat stick off of eBay for $57

• ...few people realize the courage and sacrifice it took to fly for Elite Top Aces.... the top outfit in the whole game... I'd like it if people thanked me for my service now and then.

Reminds me of when everyone went ape-shit after Sully Sullenberger landed the Boeing on the Hudson. Like I said back then, done that!. You just have to keep a cool head and keep the aircraft flying.

I think all of us real vets have done a water landing - only we were in wartime conditions.

It's a lot different when people are shooting at you.

• heh, technically I'm a Muppet now, Xargos started flyin again, always liked him. I think the two of us and Violator are the only active members. I promised him I would stay off their forums, heh. Apparently most of those dudes are still there. Anyhow I bought a used combat stick off of eBay for $57

I was in the Muppets a long time ago, but I think I only flew with them about 6 months then took a massive break.

• Reminds me of when everyone went ape-shit after Sully Sullenberger landed the Boeing on the Hudson. Like I said back then, done that!. You just have to keep a cool head and keep the aircraft flying.

I think all of us real vets have done a water landing - only we were in wartime conditions.

It's a lot different when people are shooting at you.

Yeah exactly BFD. Has he ever belly landed a 262 with both outer wings blasted off, no rudder - coming it for a perfect belly landing just using throtte ? That friends is PRESSURE... all those perk points tied into your success or failure.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!