Honda CVT

• These are just observations about the CVT, Constant Velocity Transmission.

One thing bad right off the bat is it's a weak transmission in that you shouldn't tow very much at all. The limit is 1,500 lbs. I'm not even sure that is safe. The reason being is there is no first gear. I'm not an expert though I've heard that from experts. Ironically the CVT is quite good in hilly regions. That surprised me. The reason being is it finds the exact ratio for climbing a hill. They were banned for hill climbing in the early 1900s because they were so efficient. Leonardo Da Vinci invented it in 1490. That's a much earlier than I would have thought. He never patented it and a patent was issued in the late 1800s.

Here are my observations. The CVT is a constant shift transmission and a seemingly endless number of gear ratios. When I take off from a stop I generally leave the other cars way behind no matter the size of their engine. The reason being is they have fixed gears and fixed ratios. So while they have the slightest lag during shift my car continually is connected to the engine.

Another interesting observation is these cars will often floor the pedal to catch up and pass. You can hear them roaring by. It seems irritating to them. Personally I drive just a bit over the speed limit. I've found even driving 70 mph down a country road isn't fast enough.

Another observation is the gas mileage is greater than the cars with similar sized engines and the regular automatic transmission. A friend of mine gets about 4-5 miles less than the Honda and currently is about 10 miles per gallon less in the colder weather. Now that could be other factors.

I'll tell you I do wish I had some towing capacity at times so I could get a small boat to use for fishing. Other than that the CVT seems pretty good. Last thing, I have almost 109,000 miles on the car.

• Except for the belt cvt is great.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

• Yeah well,

The wife's Outback could use a couple more cylinders but it's good for 2500 pounds which is plenty..probably a wheelbase thing.

I had an old (2003) Outback for a few years. At one point I decided I was going to drive it into the ground and it took another 18 months to kill it. Even then it didn't go quietly. I drove it onto the trailer from the wrecking yard. Tough little $900 car if underpowered. Mine was also the 5 speed with Hi/Lo 4WD

outback1.jpg

You can identify an unknown force by firing one shot and judging the response.

- If the unknowns respond with precise, regimented rifle fire, they are British.

- If they respond with heavy machinegun fire, they are German.

- If nothing happens for a few minutes, then your whole position gets leveled by artillery, they are American.

- If they surrender, they're French.

:littlered

• Most CRV's are only rated for 1500 lbs towing,I have an 07 with the regular auto tranny and it's only rated at 1500lbs.

Honda makes a pretty good CVT,nissan not so much. They've been used on snowmobiles and ATV's for years.

Maybe it's the engine size or the wheel base. I took my lead from Scotty Kilmer. Then too, Toyota is coming out with a CVT that has a first gear. It may already be out. I don't know. I think that is so the towing capacity can be increased. I'm not sure.

• The trick it to not slip the belt. Towing stuff slips the belt.

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

• Try oxen

What the Fuck was that?

Some guy Hiroshima, Japan August 6, 1945 08:15:47

Some guy Nagasaki, Japan August 9, 1945 11:02:44

Some guy Chernobyl, Ukraine SSR April 26, 1986 01:23:03

Some guy Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant March 11, 2011 11:28:37

Hillary Clinton, November 8, 2016 22:07:32

Secret Service Agent attending Biden/Pope Francis meeting October 29, 2021

• Maybe it's the engine size or the wheel base. I took my lead from Scotty Kilmer. Then too, Toyota is coming out with a CVT that has a first gear. It may already be out. I don't know. I think that is so the towing capacity can be increased. I'm not sure.

It's simple,want to tow more,get a pilot and pay more! There's a reason they have classes of vehicles. The brakes arent the greatest on hondas and the old school autos trannies tended to overheat. Back in the 90's accords were puking out the tranny pretty often,this was mostly seen in the southern states,hmm I wonder why.

The belt in an automotive CVT is made of steel,but they still have issues.They are getting much better,however I think the transmission will be a thing of the past before they perfect the CVT.

• It's simple,want to tow more,get a pilot and pay more! There's a reason they have classes of vehicles. The brakes arent the greatest on hondas and the old school autos trannies tended to overheat. Back in the 90's accords were puking out the tranny pretty often,this was mostly seen in the southern states,hmm I wonder why.

The belt in an automotive CVT is made of steel,but they still have issues.They are getting much better,however I think the transmission will be a thing of the past before they perfect the CVT.

I like Pilots. I just didn't have the bucks. However, I have seen some for around 26k used. It's something to consider.

• The biggest issue is the CRV is a unibody constructed vehicle so there is no way to connect a hitch that can tow much more than 1500 lbs. If you need to tow 3500lbs or more get a truck with a full frame underneath it. Then you can connect the proper hitch to tow more weight.

The pilot is rated for IIRC 3500 lbs.as is that fake truck the ridgeline.

I've owned hondas for about 30 years now,next one is going to be a toyota,looking at a Rav4 PHEV,but I'd really prefer a lexus they just dont offer a PHEV yet!

• The biggest issue is the CRV is a unibody constructed vehicle so there is no way to connect a hitch that can tow much more than 1500 lbs. If you need to tow 3500lbs or more get a truck with a full frame underneath it. Then you can connect the proper hitch to tow more weight.

The pilot is rated for IIRC 3500 lbs.as is that fake truck the ridgeline.

I've owned hondas for about 30 years now,next one is going to be a toyota,looking at a Rav4 PHEV,but I'd really prefer a lexus they just dont offer a PHEV yet!

I looked at Ridgelines very seriously in the past. The rear doors don't open all the way. I'm thinking about 24 inches. I saw a video where the camera crew had a tough time putting their equipment in the back because of those doors. That was a no go for me. The next year they were the same way. Go figure.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I have a friend who was going to get a ridgeline and I said if you want a truck,get a real truck and convinced him to look at the toyotas,he drives a Tacoma now....:thumbsup

Ya he he got one that had the frame issues but toyota put a new frame under his truck at no cost.

• I've heard nothing but praise for the Toyota Trucks. The one bad thing, and it may have changed, is the V8s have the starter in the rear. It will cost over a $1000 bucks to have a mechanic replace the starter.

BTW, the coolest truck on the Block is a Toyota Tundra. I should take a picture of it.

Right now, and I don't have the loot, I would choose between a Toyota and the F150.

• Starter in the rear? What does that even mean? Oil changes cost double on them too.

• Who is it that put the starter inside the bell housing?

You can identify an unknown force by firing one shot and judging the response.

- If the unknowns respond with precise, regimented rifle fire, they are British.

- If they respond with heavy machinegun fire, they are German.

- If nothing happens for a few minutes, then your whole position gets leveled by artillery, they are American.

- If they surrender, they're French.

:littlered

• Same as the Nissan VK56

What the Fuck was that?

Some guy Hiroshima, Japan August 6, 1945 08:15:47

Some guy Nagasaki, Japan August 9, 1945 11:02:44

Some guy Chernobyl, Ukraine SSR April 26, 1986 01:23:03

Some guy Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant March 11, 2011 11:28:37

Hillary Clinton, November 8, 2016 22:07:32

Secret Service Agent attending Biden/Pope Francis meeting October 29, 2021

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!