Guns/ammo shortage...

• LOL.. yeah.. 45 acp... what a great round to handload.. easier in my opinion than 9mm... I have 12k once fired 45 cases.. buddies say they have 50k more if I need em!

45 slugs are easy as hell to cast. They do burn up lead tho at 200-230 grain per bullet LOL.. I got tons of lead tho soooo.. My 45 acp rounds run around $3.50 a box of 50.. Most of my friends have 1911's in 45 acp.. so I generally bring a couple hundred rounds of that caliber.. I have run out and wished I had brought more tho.

problem is.. people come by wanting a 'few' boxes cause they are out. no big deal.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• So I figured I would try out that tumbler I got from Cabelas based on Slamfires recommendation. 44 REM MAG is first.

Backyard Commandos INC, HMFIC

I disagree but I respect your right to be stupid.

Winners focus on winning, losers focus on winners.

It's hard for liberals with mental disorders to think that other people don't also have the same mental disorders. - Danneskjold 2018

• These are NOT for the range. These are my WHMF rounds, all 500 of them.

It's hard for liberals with mental disorders to think that other people don't also have the same mental disorders. - Danneskjold 2018

• All clean polished, time to remove the primer and clean the pocket.

• Pulled these out, crimp marks, not going to use them. None of the others have them, did someone have a reason for doing this?

• Let the good times roll. I’ll be up to my eyeballs in 44 soon. Then, on to the big stuff.

• First 50 sized and deprimed.

• In an election year yes, but by the end of next year you’ll be able to order what you need online or walk in and pick it up locally.

• Yep.. the original idea was to keep the bullet from seating deeper. it is very common with semi auto rounds where that is an actual problem but revolver rounds it is bullets pulling forward that is the problem so not many revolver rounds have this. I use em tho They tend to 'grow' with sizing and firing more than regular uncrimped is all.

lazs

• I cheated, looked it up.

Hard-kicking revolvers, for example, require crimping to prevent the bullets from being pulled out of the case under recoil. In extreme cases this may result in the bullets actually protruding out the front of the cylinder, locking it up and effectively rendering the gun useless. A firm taper crimp on ammunition intended for use in an autoloading firearm is intended to do exactly the opposite; to prevent the bullet from being forced deeper into the case during the feeding cycle. It also serves to ensure reliable feeding by eliminating the sharp edge of the case mouth. Rifles having tubular magazines, such as the Winchester Model 94, also require bullets to be firmly crimped to prevent their being forced back into the case under recoil. Neck tension alone should be enough to prevent this from occurring, without resorting to excessive crimping. We regard this as a poor solution to an easily cured problem. Still, many reloaders do attempt to increase neck tension through the use of a tight taper crimp, with varying degrees of success.

• I dont think my Ruger Super Blackhawk kicks much, but that’s just me. So the question now is to crimp or not to crimp?

• Razer... Did you check for length? I do the first time I load new or fired brass. that way I get all pretty close to start with. I don't worry about it much after that. I generally do all the brass I have fired one step at a time....if I have 300 fired cases I will size and deprime all of em... I Just toss em in a bucket as I do each step. Don't have much use for loading blocks. That way I don't have to change dies too many times..

here is what I use for priming.

lazs

• Crimp or not crimp? with a 44mag? I see a can of #9 on your bench so I am thinking you are going to go somewhere near factory velocities ... say.... 1250 for those 240 grain bullets?

Youi not only need to crimp but you need a HEAVY roll crimp. I have had 44 mag bullets jump crimp even using a heavy crimp. There is no reason not to crimp and a lot of reasons to crimp. I seen a test or 10 before on crimping not crimping. using fast and slow powders . Not only did all the uncrimped rounds creep forward after two or three shots. but the ignition being erratic caused some wide spreads in velocity and accuracy. I use cast bullets almost exclusively since the cost is so much more with HP it feels like I am throwing away money.

I do have a supply of jacketed HP bullets in 44 mag but I shoot them sparingly and... since I don't hunt anymore there really is no reason to even load em.

lazs

• So I went downstairs and read ahead. The die set I have has a crimper, I’m just not there yet. I’m doing this by the book.

I bought that Lee primer gizmo but my RBCS case holders won’t fit into it.

• LOL... from the setup I did not know this was your first time. Looks like you are doing great! Yes. all seating dies have some form of crimper in them. Revolvers have a roll crimp portion and semi autos have a taper crimp portion.

The hardest thing for most people to get the 'feel' for is the crimp and primer seating. 44 mag is easier to get a good roll crimp than smaller rounds.

The Lee... https://www.amazon.com/Precisi…ell-Holders/dp/B000N8LMWY Get the set.... always get the set. Soooo I got three sets of shell holders..... one for my press.....one for my prime tool and one for my zip trim... pain in the ass

Soooo... what is gonna happen till you get it figured out? You are gonna crush a case or two trying to crimp. the press will easily put out enough force to crush the case especially with jacketed bullets. Now I can do it by feel pretty much.

Then.... you are gonna crush primers. same reason. there is no 'feel' in the press. so some will be high... others crushed. I never bother with the primer systems on the press... threw mine away decades ago.

The lee bench primer is absolutely foolproof in my opinion. gets rid of the steep learning curve. You can actually feel the primer seating to the bottom of the pocket.

lazs

• I’ll be loading a few cases without a primer or powder to get the feel of it before I go ‘live’.

It’s getting cold here now, time to switch to indoor activities. By spring I’ll have this figured out.

• Not in stock at Amazon, backorder at Midway. I’ll see if I can get it locally.