short vid on the 1911 I would like...

• Here is a hint of the kind of 1911 work I would like to have.. yep.. probly 4grand in engraving and refinishing.. .then it would have to go to someone like Atlas for an accuracy job... we are talking an inch to an inch an a half at 50 yards. so there is another 3k... So I end up with a gun that costs maybe 8k and takes a couple years to complete.

And.. dick that I am.. it will get shot... a lot. oh.. not sure about the gold.. probly won't have any.

lazs

• Nothing says "bitch better have my money" like a gold plated engraved handgun...

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Why not buy an old gun and learn to engrave? You have time. Maybe.

Backyard Commandos INC, HMFIC

I disagree but I respect your right to be stupid.

Winners focus on winning, losers focus on winners.

• LOL.. ya know I actually gave that some thought at one time... but the artistry is far beyond my abilities I am sure .. Colt used to have only two engravers. TWO Colt wants a certain style.. it is called "American scroll" it has to be hand cut with gravers. a bunch of tiny little chisels and a tiny little hammer and a huge as magnifying glass. Full coverage takes these guys 80 hours.

more recently Colt opened up their engraving to other shops. Basically you send em a gun you have done full coverage and their engravers will evaluate your work. Out of 20 applicants maybe one will get the nod.

lazs

• You're retired, sky's the limit.

• Tick. Tock

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

• Figuratively speaking.

• razer... your not retired. Not rubbing it in (well maybe a little) .. just explaining why you don't get it. I didn't either before I was retired.

Being retired means waking up with a smile on your face every day... Being retired means rush hour traffic is a thing of the past. beyond that tho.. It means that all those things you thought you would have time for? you don't. For one thing quite honestly.. your energy level is down or... maybe.. diverted? When it comes to guns... I get to shoot a LOT more for one... but I also am way more into reloading than I used to be out of necessity and cause I want to.

Bullet casting and coating.. reading shooting bullshitting on BB's fixing guns people drop by and on mine.

And that is one of the things.. fixing other peoples stuff. The other people part. when you are retired everyone thinks you have all the time in the world to take care of their shit. Like having a truck (yes even a tundra counts) and everyone wants you to haul their shit around.

lazs

• Energy levels are good and I intend to keep it that way.

My dad is retired but just as busy as he's ever been.

If the markets cooperate I'll be there in 7 more years.

• Ok.. my advise? get out the second you can.. 7 years is a long time and anything can happen to your health. When I retired there was nothing I could not do. Now I walk like a fucking cripple.. and it happened overnight. Still.. I can kick start a panhead fuckers...

Yes.. I am more busy than ever but my interests have modified.. for instance... I used to walk to the store... a lot... need a gallon of milk? 6 blocks aint shit.

Ya know all those places that have hikes and such.. . state parks and such? They will have a sign on the trail that says this trail involves 3 miles of strenuous hiking. I never gave those signs a thought.. if anyone else could do it then I could too... Have to rethink that shit.

For instance... did the tour of the Hornet.. which I believe you said you did? Anyway... involved several hours of walking and climbing ladders and all that.... I did it.. .but man... I was shot the next day. Imagine if you could not feel much from the knees down.

Sure... I go shooting and have to go up to the target 100 yards away but if someone volunteers to do it... I am good with that now.. and yeah... I can carry 75 lbs of guns and ammo out of the car but same thing.. if someone else...

lazs

• We are not promised a tomorrow, that's why I save a lot but also spend a lot now for the things I want and take all of my comp days to go places now, not later.

Time is short, make it count.

• I did a lot of things before I retired that I really don't need to do again. Being single a lot of the time was a blessing.. being with a woman a lot of the time was a blessing. Not complaining either way.. I have had a life that was far more than what I deserved and still am having one.

lazs