S&W M&P Shield 9mm or S&W 642 .38 special

• $279 for the Shield, $349 for the 642 with a $50 mail-in rebate ($299 total for the math challenged).

I can't see a solid argument for taking the Shield over the 642.

• I have both. Get both.

This.

Backyard Commandos INC, HMFIC

I disagree but I respect your right to be stupid.

Winners focus on winning, losers focus on winners.

It's hard for liberals with mental disorders to think that other people don't also have the same mental disorders. - Danneskjold 2018

• No joy on the old shrouded hammer guns tho with the nub you can use to cock the gun. I had never heard of the 442 but the only one I could find was the performance center one going for $499 Also double action only.

I was surprised they still make my 340PD tho... for a while no one wanted one... toooooo powerful for delicate hands. To be honest it's not a gun I enjoy shooting at all... but at 11 oz it is great to carry. and 5 rounds of .357 should get the job done or it can't be done.

Fucking thing lists for over a grand tho! Scandium is rare as hell I guess.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• Yeah... thats the one. I like those and there is nothing wrong with a 38 spl.. these days the +P loads are pretty hot on the 'meat targets' the 38 special 158 grain lead HP SWC did just fine. I would love to have a few of those.

lazs

• No there is nothing wrong with a .38. They'll fuck up your day just fine. It's just that snubby magnums make me smile. I'm still not convinced hp's are the answer with less than 2" of barrel. This new polycase stuff seems promising. Low recoil/high velocity seems like a good combination. Maybe just more snake oil. But I've been shooting .38's since all there was, pretty much, was round nose lead. Never seemed to be a drawback.

• Always had reservations about that with autos. But I imagine if the trigger's clear you can expect at least one shot. Shrouded or bobbed hammers don't know the difference.

...................................So I wrote the reply THEN clicked "play".....I tend to avoid using youtubes when I have my own anecdotal data but I'd have to say he's pretty much on the ball. Common sense really. Although I advise against more than one shot before presenting the weapon. It's a bad posture if the opponent grabs for the gun hand. And if you're close enough or there's more than one bad guy odds are someone WILL try to get control of the weapon.

• I went back in time and looked at an old notebook from a class I took. If you're going to shoot from concealment like a coat or purse, carry a revolver. That's the note I made and it served to confirm my reasoning for carrying a snub. Point-shoot-shoot-shoot-shoot-shoot, no slide to jam up or fail.

B/U is a single stack 9mm, should I need it.

Buy a purse or jacket from a thrift store and train to shoot through it before you attempt to add it to your daily routine.

It's hard for liberals with mental disorders to think that other people don't also have the same mental disorders. - Danneskjold 2018

• This is pretty funny really... it brings back that conversation I had with our old gamer buddy trytoohardton... When I said a shrouded revolver was great for shooting from inside the pocket he freaked out... thought he was gonna fall down laughing.

What started it was some training film... someone put up with a bad guy breaking into someones truck and the bad guy was armed and turned around and got the drop on the guy.... the film had all sorts of elaborate moves and ninja rolls you could do to save yourself in that situation.

I said.. why not just shoot the guy? Act all scared.. some begging and appear to co operate... whine about how you are getting the keys for him and then shoot his ass.

You don't need to practice in my opinion... the distance will be belly rubbing distance. If you have been practicing your hip shooting (you have haven't you?) then it is easy peesy. One shot is a good thing... but one just may not be enough... 5 at belly close tho......

lazs

• You need to know what it's like to be parallel to the end of the barrel when it goes off. That way you won't be standing there shocked and stupid and can get off another shot if need be.

It's really loud.

That scenario of feigning cooperation is spot on.

• Not you...

• I'm saying you most certainly have so you are exempt from this particular training requirement.

I've already noted it on your training records.