Shipping a pistol?

• Hi guys!

So I put up a pistol on Armslist for sale and I get contacted by someone that is interested in it out of state. They want me to ship it to their FFL, or deal with my local FFL to have it shipped to theirs. All after being paid.

Has anyone dealt with this kind of thing before? I've bought and sold a few guns in a face to face setting, even with some background checks required for handguns, but never shipped one or dealt with anything like that.

Does everything sound on the level? Is this some scam I should be aware of?

Thanks!

• I usually have them send the pistol using my name as the shipper (their address of course) and my name and address as the receiver using overnight shipping... It is legal to ship your weapon to yourself and when you pay for it, it is yours.

I also do this when I travel and don't want the tsa hassle

Amnesty lives - The wall died.

REMEMBER ALL OF THE VICTIMS OF THE CALIFORNIA TRAGEDY!!!

Nothing happened - they just live there.

• USPS Money Order only.

As MNN said, overnight shipping, to his FFL. FFL will need a copy of your DL too.

Tell the buyer what the shipping costs are upfront and then if/when they agree, give them a total for teh USPS MO.

Wait until that clears the bank before shipping.

Fuck anyone that says Certified Bank Cashier Check.

• I have been told over and over that anything state to state has to be an FFL sender and receiver. Course I live in California but I am told it is federal law.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• CA, NY CT I believe are FFL to FFL.

A lot of times you'll see private sellers who will not ship to CA due to the added cost of having to pay their state FFL to ship.

Might be more states than that.

Not so in this state.

• It is kinda confusing like all gun laws. I have shipped guns back to Ruger and Henry... they both said not to ship a 'complete' firearm... they also send me prepaid boxes to ship em in and UPS said that they could not ship guns... back and forth it went. Mostly I think no one actually knows.

lazs

• Private sales: Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an individual who does not reside in the State where the transferee resides. Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipient’s State of residence. He or she may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check. More information can be obtained on the ATF website at http://www.atf.gov and http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html. The GCA provides an exception from this prohibition for temporary loans or rentals of firearms for lawful sporting purposes. For example, a friend visiting you may borrow a firearm from you to go hunting. Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under a will or by State law upon death of the owner. See 18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(5)(A).

• I have been told over and over that anything state to state has to be an FFL sender and receiver. Course I live in California but I am told it is federal law.

lazs

long guns you can transfer at your local ffl, then the buyer can take it wo where ever the hell he wants. pistols though, to the best of my knowledge need to go through an ffl in the state in which the purchaser lives. so.....it could go from your ffl to his ffl, or you could ship directly to his ffl. his ffl then runs the nics check. technically speaking, mnn is correct too, although that turns into a kind of grey area.

• I'm thinking any retail transaction new or used that crosses state lines needs to go ffl to ffl, even private sales. In-state deals need only comply with whatever the rule is for that state. Shipping to yourself is perfectly ok here. It's only an issue when you transfer ownership.

• I was at the Ourpost gun store in Murfreesboro when I spotted a really nice Ruger single six with both cylinders for a really good price. It sucked to find out I could not purchase it. Long guns yes, but no out of state purchases for handguns. Then they tell me they could send it to an FFL dealer in my area if I paid shipping. Well, with that and the transfer fee it wasn't a great deal anymore.

Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness my ass.

Backyard Commandos INC, HMFIC

I disagree but I respect your right to be stupid.

Winners focus on winning, losers focus on winners.

It's hard for liberals with mental disorders to think that other people don't also have the same mental disorders. - Danneskjold 2018

• I was at the Ourpost gun store in Murfreesboro when I spotted a really nice Ruger single six with both cylinders for a really good price. It sucked to find out I could not purchase it. Long guns yes, but no out of state purchases for handguns. Then they tell me they could send it to an FFL dealer in my area if I paid shipping. Well, with that and the transfer fee it wasn't a great deal anymore.

Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness my ass.

How much was it? I might have one for sale if you're interested.

• Well if you don't live in Alabama...

It's hard for liberals with mental disorders to think that other people don't also have the same mental disorders. - Danneskjold 2018

• $499, laminate grip, both cylinders.

No sales tax in Tenn made it a good deal.

I would love to find another one like it for that price that I could legally purchase.

• Guys.. I am looking at that and it doesn't say you can ship to someone in the state.. it says you can transfer.

Don't you just love gun laws? we have so many that the cops don't even know... the post office doesn't know the laws...UPS doesn't know all the laws and believe it or not... a lot of FFL people don't know. We have a gun rights group here who has won cases against California and they don't know all the ins and outs of the new laws. Which are supposed to take place in January if not stopped before then.

A lot of laws are meant as revenue generators... a lot are meant to discourage people from exercising their rights.. none are mean to protect anyone.

lazs

• Newly created posts will remain inaccessible for others until approved by a moderator.

The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.