Looking for a new vehicle

• Wife and I have had mini vans for 25+ years, what with hauling our kids around and stuff. Now they are all gone and have been for years. We tend to keep a vehicle for a long time, so we don't trade often. Currently we have a 2007 Honda Odyssey with 180,000 miles. And really, mostly trouble free miles other than a/c condenser picked up a rock and we had to replace that, and voluntarily did the timing belt/waterpump kit thing. Never left us stranded anywhere.

We don't want a car. I have a 2008 bmw 328 that has 42000 miles on it. Its just too low to the ground and wife hates to ride in it.

Now we are thinking of an SUV. What we have narrowed it down to is a Ford Explorer or Toyota Highlander. I'm temped towards the Toyota for the reliability of Japanese makes. However the Explorer to us is better looking.

We will probably do something this winter. And we are still open to other things too.

So, I would like some of your fine opinion of things if any of you all have experience with SUV's.

• Drove an Exploder for a week from Las Vegas to Bryce Canyon, over to Monument Valley, down to Four Corners, back over to the Grand Canyon, across to Lake Havasu City and back up through Needles to Las Vegas.

Nice ride, good power, all the Bluetooth stuff worked. Gas mileage wasn't bad but nothing to write home about. I'm not a Ford fan but they have improved, I see a lot of them on the road.

Wife had a 4Runner, poor traction in the rain, got rid of it. Got her a RAV4 AWD with the 3.5L, holy shit what a badass little ride. 0-60 in 5.6 sec, corners like a sports car, loved it. Ride was hard though, wife didn't like it so I got her a BMW and like you said, too close to the ground. I don't like riding in it but it's hers and she likes it.

And now to the point, her next car will be the Avalon. My sister, who works for Toyota, has one, loves it. My old boss drives one, took it all over the upper Midwest on a month long trip and said he made the right choice. A year later he says it's the best car he's ever owned. Yeah, I'm going with an Avalon next.

• I was gonna make an exploder my next car... I was waiting till the highway patrol pursuit ones came on the auctions.

But....... now I am told that like the focus my daughter has or fusion.. never can get that straight.... anyway.. like that the exploder has electric power steering that sucks balls cause they go out and cost a zillion bucks to fix.

lazs

• We purchased a 2016 Edge in March. Was a rental car and Only had 16K on it and over 10k cheaper than new. It's a 3.5 AWD and came with the certified Used warranty from Ford. Wife had a 2007 Rav4 with the I-4 and was pretty much maintenance free all that time but was noisy as hell to me drivin it. The Edge is a hell of a lot quieter than most cars and I enjoy that. Mostly any new car past 2006 will have drive by wire in them, and no I don't like it but that's just me being old school. Biggest drawback on it is that the PTU for the AWD has that forever fluid in it that has been proven to be false. Now I get to drill and tap the PTU so I can change the fluid every 10K miles or so.

This program is simulcast in broken English.

The rednecks get mistaken for bigots, because it was true that they didn’t like black people, but only because they didn’t like anybody.

Let me know if anything I said has offended you, So I can offend you again.

• If I had the money to blow on one I'd get a Tahoe.

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

• Yep, can't go wrong with Toyota or a Nissan; just bought the wife a new Nissan Rogue Sport and she loves it. Traded in a 2010 Nissan Rogue that never required anything but tires and oil/filter changes; super dependable.

21200465_10210195695950957_4633767451175388825_o.jpg?oh=8df541e3f34e163f8979d1794a8e362e&oe=5AA9A60B

• We are (ahem, she is) looking for a vehicle with 3 rows seating. I'm probably a little stingy here, but, ever since we had kids, we always had to be the one with a suburban or van so we could haul kids and their friends all over. Now she wants to haul grandkids. I'm like, let em ride with their parents, and we will follow them in our smaller, fuel efficient vehicle :thumbsup But no, the grandkids for some reason like us and want to ride with us.

I know who wears the pants in the family. And once in a great while she takes em off for me :biggrin. But this coming summer will have been married for 40 years. If I know whats good for me, she be happy.

She kind of wanted another van but I did talk her into looking at suv's and she likes the explorer and highlander. Looked at some buick enclaves, but she decided against them. I'm not sure if they are a van or suv or just what they are. anyway, we are in the looking stage.

• I was gonna make an exploder my next car... I was waiting till the highway patrol pursuit ones came on the auctions.

But....... now I am told that like the focus my daughter has or fusion.. never can get that straight.... anyway.. like that the exploder has electric power steering that sucks balls cause they go out and cost a zillion bucks to fix.

lazs

Yes, stay away rom the electric steering. Cost $1500 bucks to have it done on my Mother's Ford Escape last month. Only 80,000 miles.

• You really can't find a new car without electric steering nowadays.

Stay away from a GMC.

GM went downhill years and years ago.

This program is simulcast in broken English.

The rednecks get mistaken for bigots, because it was true that they didn’t like black people, but only because they didn’t like anybody.

Let me know if anything I said has offended you, So I can offend you again.

• My company uses GMC 3/4 ton vans as work vehicles, they regularly get 400k miles out of them. Mine has 175k since fall 2014, nothin but tyres and oil changes

• Yep, can't go wrong with Toyota or a Nissan; just bought the wife a new Nissan Rogue Sport and she loves it. Traded in a 2010 Nissan Rogue that never required anything but tires and oil/filter changes; super dependable.

21200465_10210195695950957_4633767451175388825_o.jpg?oh=8df541e3f34e163f8979d1794a8e362e&oe=5AA9A60B

I guess.. If you don't mind driving a pregnant roller skate.

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

• I know it's everyone's favorite pastime to shit talk Governemt Motors, but before you pull the trigger on anything go take one for a ride. You'll be surprised.

2018-Chevrolet-Tahoe-RST-front-three-quarter.jpg