Rent control and regulations....

• This was tried in NYC and failed big time but California.. never to let a failed policy of 20 or so years ago got to waste.. is gonna reinstate this crap..

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• Mostly because of mental illness. I would never live somewhere that I couldn't afford housing in. It's pretty simple, really.

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

:this

• Mostly because of mental illness. I would never live somewhere that I couldn't afford housing in. It's pretty simple, really.

Yep. Milo has no clue. Also, rent control FAILED miserably and created LESS housing before, but hey... dumb fuck liberals LOVE putting the shit stick to free markets and creating massive problems.

• My neighbor across the street in the early 2000's let them rent his house under section 8. Talk about the dregs of society moving in.

Rock-Ribbed Capitalist

No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot - Mark Twain

• milo has no fucking clue how the housing market works or why people are homeless.... drug addicts.... People with severe mental illness including extreme PTSD and hordes of illegals

If you were renting a place out which of the above would you want for a tenant? Those people shitting on the sidewalks.... is that who you want as your tenant?

lazs

• And... gina is correct... rent control creates less housing. Who is gonna build apartments if they can't even make enough to pay off the loan? Not to mention taxes and water and garbage etc.

lazs

• It discourages new apartments from being built... EXISTING apartments from being upgraded, AND encourages apartments or converted to condos, which makes it all even worse

• The point being that certain aspects of how one measures success or wealth just don't jive anymore. Yeah, a few decades ago having fancy electronics meant you were doing great. Now, it's largely irrelevant to where you are because they've gotten so cheap (and many folks have just once device fulfilling a lot of roles). Also, being an addict has never had any ties to where you are on the SES. The War on Drugs from the 80s was targeting mostly poorer Americans. (It is interesting that with the current opioid epidemic, which is impacting Americans higher up the SES, that instead of launching another War on Drugs we're trying the whole empathy route instead..,)

If we look at that graph and look at the old markers of the American Dream such as getting a degree, having kids, and buying your own home you can see how young Americans who strive for those goals are really hurting. Every step along the way they're going into, sometimes severe, debt which they can't claw out of in any decent amount of time. I've bemoaned on TN a few times about the terrible ramifications our economy may suffer in coming decades when all these Americans, saddled with debt so early in life, don't start businesses because they simply can't take the risk. I thought Conservatism was all about supporting small business... if that's true Conservatism has failed the last two generations in that regard.

1*YMaYGtv_bg0aeXM__dzFzw.jpeg

• Backyard Commandos INC, HMFIC

I disagree but I respect your right to be stupid.

Winners focus on winning, losers focus on winners.

It's hard for liberals with mental disorders to think that other people don't also have the same mental disorders. - Danneskjold 2018

• They are considering it in my city to combat empty properties and the strain on social housing.

Its pretty bizzare, its getting to the point where the people who can actully afford the rent can qualify for a mortgage and buy instead.

That's not the norm elsewhere in the world?

I'm almost half way through a 15 year mortgage, and the payment is the same as rent for a decent 2-bedroom apartment.

Senator Mitch McConnell, (R).”I am completely and utterly perplexed by those who argue that perjury and obstruction of justice are not high crimes and misdemeanors."

tenor.gif

Senator Lindsey Graham (R), "We're a nation of laws, and that's what this case has always been about to me … He turned the judicial system upside down, every way but loose. He sent his friends to lie for him. He lied for himself."

giphy.gif