Speaking of boats...

• So that just exceeded the death toll for all the mass shootings in the last couple weeks.... I comes close to the mass injuries and death tolls for a few weeks of people using assault phones that text.

Shouldn't we all be in a panic and demand that something be done?

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• This might be a start.... but assault phones that text kill or injure many every single day... sometimes hourly.

lazs

• OK, it's gonna come out- They had a fire start in the galley, and decided to try and extinguish it themselves, and they couldn't and nobody alerted the guests. Instead they jumped overboard when it got going good. . Any explosions were Scuba tanks cooking off, but the galley area is above the hatch leading down to the berthing area so- looking at the videos it was obvious the fire started above decks, not in the engine room, where automatic foam systems could have at least contained it.

This will be on the crew, you watch- boats just don't suddenly catch on fire, especially vessels that are required to have redundant safety features for passenger safety do this. It's now come out the crew was awake... they were all in the area where the fire started.

It's too early to accuse the crew of cowardice and negligence and dereliction of duty but they were there when the fire started... oh, also doors weren't locked. We haven't locked passengers below decks since slave ships.

This will come out and there will be manslaughter charges against crew members because five guys? One will roll on the others.

• This is heartbreaking if true... I saw a diagram of the how the beds were divided on different levels and I personally would never sleep on lowest deck. Burning alive is my biggest fear, I just hope those who passed were overcome by smoke before then..
    One thing is for sure, having worked as a cook on board a sail ship the extinguishers are left right and center (as are other precautions) I cannot get my head around this unless those in charge were intoxicated or something... pfff

• Sounds like it was a spy ship and someone got doublecrossed. I seen a show once when a ship went and got a sank Russia sub and pulled it up the bottom. The sub was running a skeleton crew because that's what the ship found inside. Then it broke in halve like a water logged turd and fell back down in the ocean so the ship sailed away again.

• A female member of the crew did not make it off the boat, was she the cook?

No, I believe she was still sleeping. The guys that made it off were all awake, and in the galley or on the main deck when the fire started. I've been on boats since 1971, in war and peace time. If you have crew sleeping the first thing you do is scream "FIRE FIRE FIRE!" You alert them. These guys obviously didn't do this... it'll all come out but I'll bet cold hard cash these mother fuckers had a small fire start, didn't sound an alarm, and it got big and they panicked and ran. I'm guessing they had a galley grease fire and tried to contain it with fire extinguishers but grease will reignite... and even if you have retardant on it it'll still gain heat underneath. There should have been enough time to alert the passengers before it got fully engulfed. Fuck man... I was a damage controlman, and attended firefighting A and C schools back in the olden days. The only place you'll get a massive catastrophic explosion and fire is in an engine room, and then you have automatic foam systems that will contain it and watertight doors to smother it out.

I'm betting these guys totally fucked up and killed 34 people. The biggest danger of boats isn't sinking, it's fires. Just saying... I've seen more sailors die from fires than drowning.

This shit makes me sick because there had to be a period of time when a small fire started and became the inferno it was the passengers could have been alerted and gotten off board.

Anyway we'll see what comes out but I'm 99% sure I got it right.

• Sounds like it was a spy ship and someone got doublecrossed. I seen a show once when a ship went and got a sank Russia sub and pulled it up the bottom. The sub was running a skeleton crew because that's what the ship found inside. Then it broke in halve like a water logged turd and fell back down in the ocean so the ship sailed away again.

Sometimes you're funny but sometimes you aren't, and when 34 people die when they're on a holiday dive trip it's not that funny... just saying.

• It might not be as weird as it sounds. was watching a guy who ran boats like that for 28 years.... he says they are all about the same in layout. three decks really... the crew is topside doing crew stuff. the tanks and gear and everything are on the deck below the top.... the next deck down is the sleeping quarters.

What he is saying is that there was most likely an electrical fire on the deck above the sleeping deck... it is also where they recharge batteries for the cameras etc. could have been a battery explosion causing a fire. if the fire got going good enough the crew would not be able to get through that deck down to the sleeping deck. Once the fire was going good no one could go up or down.

lazs

• Which would mean that if you wanted to get to the sleeping quarters it would be almost impossible with the smoke and fire.

lazs