Eastern Kentucky..

• Yeah, we're looking at a lot of angles. But for now the plan is shooting/dirt bikes/decompression....maybe some exploitation, depending.

Decided last time I was looking around. I'm not interested in maintaining or securing a building. At most septic, water, and or electric. They'll run 1000 ft. of wire for free. Not sure who pays for poles or ditches.

Store a camper close by and grab it on the way down. I am concerned about stuff like fly dumping and trespassing. I imagine it's not uncommon to encounter a stranger hunting or whatever.

As far as methheads go, at least you can shoot 'em and nobody will miss them. Around here there's all manner of crazed, useless, parasitic criminals about and they're all part of some protected species. Of all of them, the city workers are the worst. The main reason it's so shitty.

That's mainly why I'm self employed and work alone whenever possible.

• I have also been thinking of buy some property around here for shooting. there is salt marsh land for cheap around here.

The problem with most 'vacation' land is if you improve it the meth heads and criminals will see it as vulnerable.

I don't really want to improve the dirt. no electricity or water or sewer. just a patch of land surrounded by more worthless land.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• You’re where I was a couple of years ago. After looking around Alabama then western Tennessee we chose eastern Tennessee. We were looking for a retreat now and later on a place to retire.

Squatters and vandals are your biggest threat. Block construction and steel doors will deter them as will motion detection light systems and a camera to let you peek as needed.

There are quite a few websites for local crime stats but take the data with a grain of salt. One issue at a roadside fruit stand will turn a safe area yellow.

Get to know your neighbors there. They will most likely be armed and would LOVE to keep an eye on things. Pay them with a pork shoulder and you’ll have a friend for life.

Backyard Commandos INC, HMFIC

I disagree but I respect your right to be stupid.

Winners focus on winning, losers focus on winners.

It's hard for liberals with mental disorders to think that other people don't also have the same mental disorders. - Danneskjold 2018

• You tards will always be fucking yanks and Californians to the locals. They will smile to your face and stab you in the back. Never trust an inbred loser.

Sounds just like Alabama.

It's hard for liberals with mental disorders to think that other people don't also have the same mental disorders. - Danneskjold 2018

• Yeah, sounds like somebody's never been to Chicago. My ex-wife actually has a cousin-brother, sister,..and an uncle-dad.

I'm more concerned about drilling a well for clean water. Or the issues, if any, of sharing a mountain with a mine..that sort of stuff. I tend to bring out the worst in strangers. I can handle that. It's sort of become a hobby. But i would like whatever we pick up to be homesite friendly in case we change our plans or want to liquidate.

• Just watch deliverance.

• Well, they'd NEVER film it there NOW, family values and all

The story of modern America is a person at Starbucks with AirPods in their ears and a half-eaten muffin sending a tweet from their MacBook about why America sucks.

• Northern Georgia, northern Alabama, western South Carolina, western North Carolina, western Virginia, eastern Tennessee, eastern Kentucky, West Virginia... just slightly different regions of the same southern Appalachian shithole.

• Deliverance was set in Ga. And the pussies were from Atlanta...fucking Atlanta.

Always disliked Georgia. Probably because I hate Atlanta.

The eastern part of the state has a different breed of inhabitant than I've encountered elsewhere in the state. Much less open and friendly.

But property is very affordable. Seems like the roads are in pretty good shape and it's at the long side of a reasonable drive from here. I'm looking for seclusion. Not culture. Not that many options in my budget.

• Seclusion is damn hard to come by anywhere east of the Mississippi. I know that most yanks dream of moving down south to get away from winter and taxes and traffic. I get it. But I'm telling you what a lot of retired yanks could tell you. The south isn't any better. Just shitty in a different way.

If I was looking for cheap seclusion within a days drive of Chicongo, I would look at places like the Flint Hills in Kansas. The land is too rocky and hilly for much farming, and the surrounding areas are sparsely inhabited farm country. I can't imagine that land would cost much there. I'm sure there are lots of similarly shitty and mostly empty areas throughout the plains. Also, I hear that the UP is nice.

• We vacation in north Georgia in the fall, near Blue Ridge, never had any issues, all the way over to Helen and the gorge. I’d move there in a minute.

• Heh, gotta love it when some pinhead tries to inform me when they just flat out don't know shit.

Maybe that's a bit harsh....but I don't think so.

No matter. Just sniffing around for info that may help inform my decision. Theses endeavors are something of an adventure. It'll be interesting what we wind up with.

• Seclusion is damn hard to come by anywhere east of the Mississippi. I know that most yanks dream of moving down south to get away from winter and taxes and traffic. I get it. But I'm telling you what a lot of retired yanks could tell you. The south isn't any better. Just shitty in a different way.

If I was looking for cheap seclusion within a days drive of Chicongo, I would look at places like the Flint Hills in Kansas. The land is too rocky and hilly for much farming, and the surrounding areas are sparsely inhabited farm country. I can't imagine that land would cost much there. I'm sure there are lots of similarly shitty and mostly empty areas throughout the plains. Also, I hear that the UP is nice.

Wherever you go, THERE you are

The story of modern America is a person at Starbucks with AirPods in their ears and a half-eaten muffin sending a tweet from their MacBook about why America sucks.