Do you think the First Amendment is important??

• Of course. Freedom from government designated religion, freedom of speech.

Freedom of the press to dick around with the president, freedom of the president to tell the press to fuck off.

Freedom for Nazis to assemble, and freedom for Antifa to go to jail :)

• It was very important. Unfortunately it was usurped 100 years ago. Any right that you're willing to bargain with isn't really a right at all. Is that what you're getting at?

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

• Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

You guys really want to take it apart?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion - no state religion like they endured under the king. That's it, it doesn't say a damn thing about separation of church and state so don't be a dick and add it.

Congress shall make no law prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech - prohibiting speech includes FCC censorship of speech on TV, town councils passing laws prohibiting 'SHIT HAPPENS' bumper stickers and prohibiting the display of recognized state or national flags.

Congress shall make no law prohibiting the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances - like creating 1ST Amendment zones or putting up barriers around national monuments on public property or telling you a permit is required to assemble.

How was that?

• So what you're saying is... We've (the baby boomers) have already bargained these rights away.

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

• And no one called me on it.

Hmmm.

Congress hasn't passed any laws contrary to the first amendment they I'm aware of. All those infringements I mentioned were perpetrated by government agencies and city councils.

I believe as long as the second amendment stands they'll leave the first alone.

• I can't believe how good Trump is at this stuff... and how loosely many define rights. You have the right to slander and curse and profane and show any disgusting act on TV... or..... do you? I mean...

Is the FCC in violation of the first? is MNN in violation of the first when he tells a gay couple to stop humping in front of his kids?

It is all sooooooooooooooooooooo complex! I mean... if you are an idiot anyway.

lazs