How Gman unknowlingly got me a free Microtech knife

• Wrag at the local HEMA club I've seen some guys doing mat cuts with those entry level Cold Steel hand+half/longswords, for the money they were really impressive, edge resistance to damage especially. They come reasonably sharp, but any home sharpening kit/stone can really put an edge on those. Guy bought one from the forums on Sword Buyers guide for $150.

I've not seen any of the CS Katana or Japanese swords in a while, but they were really good for the $ too.

Ronin Katana now have the best bang/$ out there. I can't remember the company that builds the best 1500 to 2500$ custom hand made/folded Katanas, it's in another PCs bookmarks, but they were great too. Ronin for $250 makes the best mid ranged swords, and for 7 to 800 makes fantastic battle ready 3 steel blended laminate blades. 1095/1060/1045, with the steel used on the edge being very, very hard and resistant to damage, yet soft enough to take a wicked edge. They deferentially harden, properly quench, and do a decent Japanese finger polish for the cost. (Obviously not a "true" polish, as that costs anywhere from 100 to 1000 dollars per inch. Per side - but a good factory one). The fittings and components are all really good for a sub 1000$ sword, and they cut great on test targets, the perfect sword that is "good enough", yet won't make you cry if you fuck it up with an improper stroke or surprise inside your target sort of deal.

• Thing about a good blade is it don't run outa bullets...

HOWEVER if the other guy still gots bullets...

well... is a knife... even a really big knife... to a gun fight...

Dietrich Bonhoeffer: “Silence in the face of evil is itself evil. God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”

I gave up drinking, smoking, and sex, it was the most horrifying 20 minutes of my life!

Your OLD when "Gettin Lucky" means you can find your keys.

• No matter the knife.. if it is big enough to be effective it is gonna have to be a folder to conceal or... some slash only small knife.. Unless you are in a situation where concealment is not a problem and everyone is openly armed then the giant sheath knife and sword are gonna be out.

But.... old people need canes. young people too if they are injured or recovering from injury or suffer some disability. In any social gathering with dozens of people you will always see a few with canes. Back in the bad old days... if there were 10 bikers partying it up there were all manner of crutches and canes leaning here and there in the room.

lazs

• Both spring assist and gravity knifes seem to be getting a go ahead in some states as well...

Dietrich Bonhoeffer: “Silence in the face of evil is itself evil. God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”

I gave up drinking, smoking, and sex, it was the most horrifying 20 minutes of my life!

Your OLD when "Gettin Lucky" means you can find your keys.

• well... unless you run into an old guy with a cane. I have always been fascinated with 'multi tools' so far as weapons. The spork idea is a good one...

Back in the day of flntlock single shot pistols the blade knife was pretty popular... then the short pepper box revolver that was highly inaccurate with the brass knuckle grip.... the 1918 U.S. trench knife with the wicked brass knuckle frame...

early bayonets were actually pretty much a short sword. Fact is tho.....

If you need a cane or a walking stick.. why not a dual purpose? If you need a spork? same deal. Plus.. the biggest flaw of the spork is no knife to cut your food.

lazs

• LOL.. ya know.. that was the first thing I thought when I saw it. It is very cool tho.. the blade is plastic but tough I hear. They are cheap... I did the Amazon thing and ordered a pack of 4 for $28... Xmas is around the corner and they will make great stocking stuffers.

lazs

• The laws against 'switchblades' is pretty stupid. and as with all stupid laws.... American ingenuity and hate for stupid laws gets around it with assisted opening and such... I honestly think the laws against switchblade knives was because of a musical in the 50's called "West Side Story"

It is another example of law by hysteria.

lazs

• Hey Storch - what's your advice on a staff ? Rattan, Oak, White Wax Wood ? etc. etc. I'm gonna get a couple of Rattan sticks to fuck around with to stay in shape (did a bit of Flipper stick fighting back in the 80s fun stuff). Was thinking going full retard with the sticks....