messing with powder loads...

• Black powder. 31 caliber 5 shot.. what a gold miner in California would have had in 1848.. . and a .36 caliber 1851 Navy which would have tamed the wild west. It is difficult to load too much black powder.. it if fits? is is probly ok but the standard load for a .31 baby is about 12 grains with a fifty caliber ball.. pure lead.. This is about 650 fps. for.. an energy level between a .25 auto and maybe a 32 short.. not a powerful round.

The 1851.. first really carry gun.. small enough to carry in a holster on your hip and able to stop a bad guy with one well placed shot out to 100 yards.. 83 grain lead round ball at around 1000 fps or a tad more.. energy about like a .38 spl or 9mm.. not exactly the cannon it was purported to be.. energy slightly less than a cheap target 9mm

Round ball.. this seems kinda dumb in the hollow point and other shape bullets of today.. but it is pure lead. what does that mean? it means the thing expands even at low velocities.. like a 22lr which is also pure lead. most 38spl and 9mm economy loads do not expand much or erratically.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• Sooo.. what did I find? with a normal load in the little .31 Colt of 1848? the thing penetrated 300 pages of catalogs... or about what a .25 auto or .32 auto might. but.. it expanded to some pretty impressive amounts.. jagged and about 45 caliber.. with almost 100% weight retention.

The .36? well it was a mild load but did penetrate at least as well as the .31.. and expanded to fifty four caliber. Neither load had any recoil that anyone would object to. Neither load was loud enough to really require ear protection by anyone but the most sensitive. Both filled the room with smoke tho. more than a few shots would make the target impossible to see or it to see you.

Here are the results.. or the bullets...

lazs

• Soo... max load of black powder in a 1851 Navy... 81 grain pure lead ball... barely fits. LOUD especially in the house.. my son was bitching. recoil made the loading lever fall down. which would have disabled the gun.

Sooo... 710 pages penetrated with damage to another 50 or so. bullet is dime sized... like 60 caliber? or more?

whole house smells like a satans fart (according to my son) I need to work the loads down I guess.

lazs

• yep.. lead bullets are sorta kinda banned in some areas for hunting.. not really tho.

Black powder for me is kinda a historical fun thing at this point.

lazs