More Black powder...

• I originally bought a couple of black powder guns.. not really my thing? but my thing? the price was right ... Maybe $300 for a nice little .31 caliber pocket Colt replica and a Pedersoli 12 gauge muzzle loader shotgun.. I got no black powder.. I got no percussion caps or wads or whatever....

sooo I am told that the old guy who did all this shit has a ton of stuff. which comes with the deal.. months go by.. I just got 5 boxes (big boxes) of all kinds of stuff including bullet molds..........bullets.........caps...........black powder.........jags and brushes.......stuff I am not even sure of.....5 lbs of black powder...... Thousands of rounds (potentially) of black powder shooting.. basically? I am thinking a grand or so of stuff needed to enjoy the BP shooting sports.. the shotgun itself seems to be worth 500-700 bucks. Powder runs $16 a pound.. lead.. cleaning stuff.. patches.. a thousand caps..

So these are the guns so far.. I might just get an 1851 Navy Colt in .36 caliber for the heck of it.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• Lazs, the most important thing is going to be a good, accurate powder measure. Once you get an idea of what charge works best, it's just a little fine tuning. I recommend wonder wads if you want fast, hassle-free shooting...but for larger charges (and better velocity) you're gonna find that seating the ball right on the powder, and then putting a bit of bore-butter, lard, or crisco over the mouth of the chambers you have loaded will give good performance. Crisco is the cheapest way to go, IMHO.

If you have a powder flask that goes with the pistol, there's usually a little trick: The little spout that comes out of the flask can be changed so that it will measure out your charge. I have an Uberti 1858 Remington New Army, and a normal powder charge is around 25 grains. If I tip my flask down, put a finger over the funnel, hit the switch on the flask, I can simply fill the funnel, let go of the powder gate lever while keeping my finger over the hole, and the funnel gives me a decent charge that needs no further measure. This kinda cuts down on the reloading time considerably .

• Thank you! that is all great advise.. it matches what I remember from decades ago and what I have been reading about now since I did not trust my memory on shooting BP again. I actually bought wonder wads for both the .31 and the .36 to cut down on the hassle. The .31 takes #0 buckshot which makes it really inexpensive to shoot!

I also purchased a LEE powder dipper set that has a neat little slide rule type thing that gives charges for each dipper for various powders. I have shot the .31 in the house into magazines using the dipper and wonder wads and #0 buck and it was great.

I have a flask with the 22 grain spout. that is what I will use after I check it against the dipper for weight/volume In the mess of stuff I also got about 10 molds for various bullets. So I will cast the .36

These are fun guns so a few grains more or less of powder is not a big deal... it is just something to make a huge cloud of smoke for me and my friends and maybe take out a 2 liter soda at 15 yards or so...

I am expecting spectacular stuff from the shotgun tho. 14 #0 balls per barrel is pretty nasty.

lazs

• The scattergun is outside of my range of experience but it sounds like you have a handle on the pistols. I didn't catch what kinda powder you said you had, I have had good results with Goex in my pistols. I was currently trying a brand called frontier, but didn't really like the results. Next up is Hodgon's triple 7.

• I have both Goex and Pyrodex for both ffg and fffg but have only tried the Pyrodex so far. The shotgun is a hoot. I load it kinda heavy with about an ounce and a half of #0 buck. I had to buy all the wads and cards but it is pretty easy to load.

lazs