ammo costs...

• Reading a great history of Colt firearms one of the main things is cost.. this book is well researched and gives costs for gun running around $8 for a single action revolver in the 1840-1860 range, some more.. some less.

Sooo ammo costs... these guns were cap and ball so loose powder and ball and then a cap.. But they made combustible paper cartridges that were a tad easier (and faster) to reload.

Some of the costs for ammo was pretty amazing.... Not just the cost but the fact that they were sold by the thousand.... 44 caliber paper cartridges were $14 per thousand. That was a lot of shooting back then. It was probly half or less that if you just cast bullets over a campfire and used powder from a keg.

Interesting to me at least. I am thinking of someone shooting several hundred rounds a day when $30 a month was good money.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• Yeah... I seen it both ways. One was a flyer sent to retailers with costs for guns also but one was more of a public thing. the idea was for the ranchers and stuff that were far from town to be able to be set for a while.

Shopping was a tad different back then. when the railroad came in it came to the larger cities or those that had coal but people would go shopping in a larger city and make a holiday of it... they would board the train where they could... go shopping and most of the shops would crate their purchases and deliver em to the railroad.

Big gun stores did sell ammo in quantity. I was just looking at two 1800's Winchester crates that would hold 1k rounds.

lazs

• On July 1st. this year in California we have Prop. 63 kicking in with new requirements on purchasing ammo. We will have to submit at the cost of a dollar information that is validated in order to do this. If you do not have valid California i.d you will not be able to purchase ammo. There will be a one time allowance at the cost of $19 for a check that goes deeper to let someone purchase ammo. Right now 'they' are still checking to see how deep this bill goes in what goes into effect.

• I suppose ordering it online is out of the question?

renowned climatologist Bill Nye — and by climatologist, we mean guy who takes pictures of the Weather Channel on his TV and posts them to Twitter as proof of climate change.

• That was the idea I think.. to stop online ordering. Most places like Walmart have just stopped carrying ammo rather than jump through the hoops. The places that do sell ammo are really upping the prices too.

So far I can still buy all the components for handloading so it really does not affect me yet.

lazs

• thing is....they're dumbasses for stopping online ammo ordering. what easier way to track who buys what and how much?

Exactly, I know a guy that belongs to a ww2 carbine club. He always ordered the ammo for the club online, like 20k rounds at a time. He actually got a visit from the ATF wanting to know why he was buying so much ammo.

• I am actually surprised they do not. When there was the great ammo drought a few years back.... me and a couple other guys were the only ones at the range. we all handloaded. Anyone watching us blast away taking ammo from out MTM plastic boxes and saving all the brass coulda figured out why we the only ones shooting.

lazs

• Yep.... or.. glass half full guy here.............The original restrictions will be rolled back. It is a see/saw/pendulum thing with politics swinging the way it works... Trump has appointed some great judges tho. California will lose a lot of money buy restricting ammo sales.

go to a range... guys are shooting hundreds of bucks worth of ammo... all that stuff has taxes on it. And... a percentage goes to conservation of wildlife. this money will be lost. Also.. some gun owners (who are generally middle or upper middle class) will vote with their feet and sell their $400k homes and move to other states..

You simply can't continue to demonize the people who pay the taxes and keep the state going and chase them out.

lazs

• good. at least they don't make one set of rules for police, and another for the rest of us like they do in pfrnj.

what if they start limiting powder and primers?

There are a lot of changes and fine tuning on this so I try to keep up to date but as it is working through the legal system I keep getting new information. In one article it mentioned officers will not be required in some things?:picard

• There are a lot of changes and fine tuning on this so I try to keep up to date but as it is working through the legal system I keep getting new information. In one article it mentioned officers will not be required in some things?:picard

could be. one of our laws that just changed was f2f long gun sales. not allowed anymore. not it's gotta go through an ffl. except for police. officer to officer(including retired) can still do face to face. but you and i couldn't legally do that anymore.