When was the last time you bought a $100 book?

• I don't think I ever have except for the overpriced ones I bought when I took college night classes... I have had my eye on this one for more than a year but figured it would go down in price... no such thing.

This is the definitive work on the Colt 'snake guns' of which I only own one now... that is my mint 1970 Colt Python. Not a lot has been written about the snake guns cause they are complex and expensive soooo little real interest in expensive books about em since no that many folks own one. Basically they are 1900's revolvers tuned to perfection with LOTS of man hours.

The Python is king. 140 pages are devoted to the gun.... I would put the Anaconda (44 mag gun) near as cool but not as well finished.

Sooooo... My Python..... I would say at this time it is worth maybe $4k to the right person? $3k is more realistic. Historical and cool? you bet. At that worth.. it somehow does not seem like such a large investment to buy the book from the most famous authority on he things. so I did it.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• Here is mine.... 1969-1970 second gen with 6" barrel... you can see the amount of polish before they applied the 'Colt royal blue' finish.. which still looks new... maybe 97%?

lazs

• I sell guys $100 service manuals all the time.

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

:this

• Yep.. college.. and those books were crap. I mean they were on flimsy paper with blurry pictures and graphs and the bindings fell apart in a few years... not that the books were even useful the next year.

I have paid half that for some WW2 aircraft books that are huge and the pics and binding is pretty fair.

This Colt book tho is a work of art. The paper is at least twice as thick and has a nice semi gloss to it. The pictures are extremely professional.

lazs

• Fuckin' Mercedes G class ain't gonna pay for itself, bruh.

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

:this

• Speaking of snake-guns is the colt cobra a gun that people should actually own? I'm not horribly familiar with spin-gats, but my roommate wants to buy a colt King Cobra or Cobra because he handled a new cobra and a new smith and wesson of some sort at a gun-store and has the impression that the colt cobra is of significantly smoother and "glasslike" construction. But when I look at a colt cobra it makes me want to puke for some reason. I told him to just buy a python, but he wants something new... SO... if you had to buy a new .357 handgun what would you go for?

• Kinda apples and oranges there. he want a large or smaller frame gun? The Python is a medium frame gun... bigger than say a K frame Smith In fact... I would say that the L frame smith is a copy in size and a lot of features like the ramp and underlug etc.

I have heard of spotty workmanship on the new Smiths but not seen it in person. They seem to be pretty good. I would go with the Smith 686 over a ruger.

lazs

• I've been looking for a cheap copy of The FN-49 The Last Elegant Old-World Military Rifle but turns out the author is releasing a new edition this year so I wont have to pay $300-400 for a book.

I picked up a Venezuelan contract fn49 two months ago been looking for one for a couple of years. Just last week did I find a bayonet to match coming all the way from the Netherlands.

• Gun books... coffee table.. usually run around $50 used a lot less but they usually have crappy paper and bindings.. I get for the info tho generally and not for the quality of printing...

I have never seen a gun book as nice as 7 serpents tho... pages are so thick it feels like each one is like 3 normal ones stuck together.

not sure there is a music vid for that tho.

lazs