So What Makes You Such A Badass...

• Backyard Commandos INC, HMFIC

I disagree but I respect your right to be stupid.

Winners focus on winning, losers focus on winners.

It's hard for liberals with mental disorders to think that other people don't also have the same mental disorders. - Danneskjold 2018

• Different subspecies.

From what I've read the only difference between a grizzly and a brown is size and that is caused by the browns having access to salmon runs and grizzlies not having that advantage. The extra protein from the salmon runs allows the browns to grow larger. Which is also why the Kodiak bear (just another grizzly) is so large.

• Ahh, it seems they now are calling grizzlies and Kodiak's subspecies.

All grizzly bears are brown bears, but not all brown bears are grizzly bears. The bears you are watching on the cams are brown bears. Grizzly bears and brown bears are the same species (Ursus arctos), but grizzly bears are currently considered to be a separate subspecies (U. a. horribilis). Due to a few morphological differences, Kodiak bears are also considered to be a distinct subspecies of brown bear (U. a. middendorfii), but are very similar to Katmai’s brown bears in diet and habits.

Even though grizzlies are considered to be a subspecies of brown bear, the difference between a grizzly bear and a brown bear is fairly arbitrary. In North America, brown bears are generally considered to be those of the species that have access to coastal food resources like salmon. Grizzly bears live further inland and typically do not have access to marine-derived food resources.

Besides habitat and diet, there are physical and (arguably) temperamental differences between brown and grizzly bears. Large male brown bears in Katmai can routinely weigh over 1000 pounds (454 kg) in the fall. In contrast, grizzly bears in Yellowstone National Park weigh far less on average. There have been no documented cases of grizzly bears weighing over 900 pounds (408 kg) in Yellowstone. Additionally, grizzly bears seem to react to humans at greater distances than brown bears.

https://www.nps.gov/katm/learn…tly-asked-questions.htm#2

• Kodiak bear, Ursus arctos middendorffi, is the largest of the sixteen subspecies of the Brown bear.

Grizzly bear, Ursus arctos horribilis, is also known as North American brown bear or silvertip bear. Grizzly is a sub species of the brown bear that lives in uplands of North America

Scientists believe that Kodiaks had been genetically isolated after the last ice age, which took place about 10,000 years ago, but they are still Ursus Arctos.

Polar Bears are a separate species, Ursus maritimus, but are still difficult to strangle.

• All grizzlies are brown bears, as I said.

The grizzly bear (Ursus arctos ssp.)

is a large population of the brown bear inhabiting North America. Scientists[who?][citation needed] generally do not use the name grizzly bear but call it the North American brown bear.

Multiple morphological forms sometimes recognized as subspecies exist, including the mainland grizzly (Ursus arctos horribilis), Kodiak bear (U. a. middendorffi), peninsular grizzly (U. a. gyas), and the recently extinct California grizzly (U. a. californicus†) and Mexican grizzly bear (U. a. nelsoni†). On average bears near the coast tend to be larger while inland grizzlies tend to be smaller.

The Ussuri brown bear (U. a. lasiotus) inhabiting Russia, Northern China, Japan and Korea is sometimes referred to as the black grizzly, although it is a different subspecies from the bears in America.

Grizzly phylogenetics

Classification has been revised along genetic lines.[1] There are two morphological forms of Ursus arctos, the grizzly and the coastal brown bears, but these morphological forms do not have distinct mtDNA lineages.[8]

Grizzly=Brown bear

Grizzly= Ursus arctos

Brown Bear= Ursus Acrtos

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Brown bear

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The brown bear (Ursus arctos) is a bear that is found across much of northern Eurasia and North America.[2][1] In North America the population of brown bears are often called grizzly bears. It is one of the largest living terrestrial members of the order Carnivora, rivaled in size only by its closest relative, the polar bear (Ursus maritimus), which is much less variable in size and slightly larger on average.[3][4][5][6][7]

• All dogs are dogs but.. some are ... a bit.........different than others.

I just want to say tho that ..............I am a badass.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)