Book recommendation: One Second After

• I have it in epub if anyone wants to borrow it.

What's hilarious on the Amazon review blurb is that they state "it's been discussed on the floor of congress as a book every American should read". Funny that, since it's congress that won't spend the comparatively small amount of $ required to protect the power grid from an EMP attack. Ridiculous.

+1, great book. I'm trying to get into audio books for road trips that I frequently end up driving, I find the pace difficult to stand sometimes, as I've been speed reading for decades, and what's kept me from listening to more audio books is how I end up thinking more about how annoyed I am at the slow pace, than listening to the effing book being read.

• I never could speed read a book. I just enjoy savoring them too much. I could read the same paragraph over an over again just because it so fucking good. Dan Simmons' books take me forever to read.

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Read both of em... good yarn IMHO...

Dietrich Bonhoeffer: “Silence in the face of evil is itself evil. God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”

Presbyterian Rev. Gilbert Tennant:

“He that suffers his life to be taken from him by one who has no authority for that purpose, when he might preserve it by defense, incurs the Guilt of self murder since God has enjoined him to seek the continuance of his life, and Nature itself teaches every creature to defend itself.”

• There are various types of speed reading, some of the early Evelyn Wood methods work well for novel reading for me still, I'd never read fiction with some of the newer and faster techniques. Extensive over scanning/skimming etc. It's easy for most people once trained to triple or more their former reading rate, yet still retain, in fact improve on it, all the information and "story" in a non technical book.

• I find the pace difficult to stand sometimes, as I've been speed reading for decades, and what's kept me from listening to more audio books is how I end up thinking more about how annoyed I am at the slow pace, than listening to the effing book being read.

I had the same problem with the slow pace so I tried listening at the X1.25 speed setting and it helped a little, I have started listening to mostly podcasts now.

• there's ONE particular fucking book I wanted by James Michener, "Tales of the South Pacific" Apparently it's the only one of his that's not converted to E-book

• He he, wanna bet? PM me an email address BJ, I'll send it to you.

Michener has the kind of career I'd want as a writer - he's written everything from Magic:The Gathering stuff, to Star Trek, Civil War, and military history. Wide variety of pretty decently written subject matter.

Smudge, I didn't think about that, my car player won't advance at different speeds, but I guess I could use an iPad/iPhone and use the BT or plug in connection to the "infotainment" center.

• I was remembering a book of his I'd read as a 10 year old or so...the major character was a surfer named Adam Land who was a fuck up. Their submarine was damaged and sunk...he and a few other guys managed to get out thru the escape hatch from 300' under...can't remember more than that. I'm guessing it's Tales from the Pacific...dunno