Pondering new pew pew...Mini 30

• I have a couple Mini30s. When they banned the AK and all the variants up here 20+ years ago, it became a "go to" rifle for all of us with a lot of x39 ammo already stockpiled. The SKS is very popular up here, but it is what it is, a good rifle in the $200 range. Until the VZ58 and CZ858 rifles snuck in here under the regulations as "non restricted" firearms, the Mini30 was the only good 762x30 semi option that was detach magazine fed. Plus since the new Liberal gov is trying to prohibit class the CZ/VZ rifles right now, the Mini30 has become even more popular, yet again.

I have a stainless poly stock and a standard wood Mini30. I really, really like them, honestly next to a good AK, as in Rifle Dynamics or other higher end AK model in the say $1000+ ish range, I prefer the Mini30 for my mag fed semi auto x39 rifle for numerous reasons. Very comfortable and pointable rifles, really decent accuracy despite what you will read online IMO (like Lazs mentioned, it can be hit or miss from the factory), very reliable, great ergos, ie charging/clearing the rifle is much more positive, again IMO, than any AK variant rifle.

I would seriously consider any Mini30 as my primary 762x39 rifle if I couldn't get access to my Rifle Dynmics AK, which since it's with my uncle and cousin at their place in Scottsdale, a long, long way from Canada, my access is for only when I'm visiting family stateside. AKs are still prohibited class up here, which leaves me the CZ, VZ, and SKS as the autoloader options, that or AR x39 uppers, which are still restricted class like handguns, which means range only and tight transport/storage regs.

If you plan on shooting commie surplus steel case ammunition, you probably should look into some spring changes and some guys change out pins too. Only way to know is to shoot the rifle with the surplus ammunition, and see if you get any stoppages or failures.

Really like the Mini30, you can't go wrong for the $ IMO with the OP pictured Mini. Get yourself some hi cap mags, and if as you said you want to install a pick-your-weeny rail, put a decent red dot or out to 300meters 4x class magnified optic. Promag makes reasonably decent metal 30 round mags for around $25, Ruger's 20 round factory are about double in cost, both work well for me, even with the stupid pop rivet 5 round "legal" pins in them.

Some good pew pews then.

• If you plan on shooting commie surplus steel case ammunition, you probably should look into some spring changes and some guys change out pins too

Yeah, Hickok didn't allude to the part, but he said it often had light primer strikes with commie steel cased (which are usually Berdan?) Nice to know it can be fiddled with to overcome that

A narrative doesn’t require truth to remain viable, it requires the capacity to punish.

“Diversity is our Strength” is made ludicrous by the entirety of human experience and conflict.

But since you can be fired for denying it, there it sits like a turd on a silver tray.

• I haven't shot a lot of steel case stuff out of my 14 since I have always handloaded but I have never had a light primer strike. this seems odd since the hammer hits pretty stoutly. I have used Wolf and Tula primers tho for my handloads....

These primers are 'harder' but boxer not berdan. The reason for hard primers is that most semi auto battle rifles like the M1 series and the mini... don't have a return spring on the firing pin. with 'soft' primers it is possible that the inertia of the bolt coming forward and the then stopping will fling the pin hard enough to fire. If you chamber rounds and then eject without firing you will most likely see a small indent on the primer...

In any case I use the Tula primers without light strike problems.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• I have heard in the past that the Mini30 is a jam-o-matic unless you use real brass ammo, not the commie steel cased stuff.

Of course this comment generally comes from a jealous Romanian WASR-10 owner that hates on anything that is 7.62x39mm that isn't an AK like they have, so I don't put much credence in that. The Mini 30 is a very rare bird - saw one a single time in my life.

I had one exactly like this.

• Gina... or anyone.. .see the difference between the top and bottom guns? Under the barrel of the top one is that stabilizer I was talking about...

The barrels are thin and worse.. slightly tapered so the stabilizer creeps forward after a bit. I had to make a spacer between the front mount and the front sight boss and tack it to the front sight.

lazs

• Stainless is kinda nice tho. The guns are simple to work on but they never seem to really get dirty. I add a little wheel bearing grease to the rails once in a while.

lazs

• I thought it was the stupidest thing I'd ever seen. And I was twelve.

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

• Nah

This program is simulcast in broken English.

My goal is to be nice to at least 1 person a day. Today is not your day.

Let me know if anything I said has offended you, So I can offend you again.

• No... the mini 14 does not jam... and most premium barrels for rifles are SS... ductwork on the other hand is galvanized sheet metal... they call em tin benders for a reason.

You would be hard pressed to find a blue revolver these days.... even semi autos are now mostly SS.

lazs