1911 in .45 or 9mm

• LOL. Reminds me of my former business partner. He became completely enamored with the Beretta 92F after Die Hard and Lethal Weapon. Emptied a mag at a snake next to his mail box. No hits. Same thing at a skunk next to his HVAC unit.

Both were summarily dispatched by a certain blued steel Dan Wesson 44HV, with one shot each.

“That’s some serious shit you’re packin.”

Ah, blessed movie gun itus.

• Well, for half the round cost there's nothing to discuss. As I said before, 115's don't feel right. 147's start to approach the sensation that you've fired a 1911. Big, metal framed auto's have a way about them that I gravitate towards when just out shooting. And again, I like to shoot. Twice as much is a good thing.

• Well, thing is, the 9mm in a 1911 platform was smooth as silk, nearly got a boner putting rounds through the same hole. Felt good in my hand too but, I simply don’t need a low capacity 9mm for any purpose. If I’m going to tote a low capacity weapon I’m going to go with a larger caliber.

Backyard Commandos INC, HMFIC

I disagree but I respect your right to be stupid.

Winners focus on winning, losers focus on winners.

• A large frame pistol like the 1911 is wasted on a small round like the 9x19. If I had to take a 1911 I'd want one in .45 or perhaps 10mm Auto.

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• I honestly can't think of a use for a 15 round or more handgun. never been an issue and mostly you have to put em down still hot cause you have to go change targets or whatever.

The big sigs are neat and the single stacks fit your hands well and are very controllable and more importantly... accurate. only accurate guns are interesting for any length of time. Anything from 5-10 rounds is a good little session. Relax... reload... or try a different gun for a few rounds.

Guys with 15 or so round mags tend to waste a lot of ammo it seems.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• Are there any stats that show degree of lethality of 45acp vs 9mm?

Nothing is set in stone. Bullet weight, speed, entry angle, point of entry, object size and mental state; just some of the variables that affect a bullets overall effectiveness. We’ve all seen the videos of people taking multiple shots from a 9 or 45 and they kept coming.

But those odds increase when you put one in the brain. It’s not absolute but it is more effective than body shots where the affects must accumulate and contribute eventually to organ failure.

• I think I’ll let the Dalai Lama handle this one.

• Nothing is set in stone. Bullet weight, speed, entry angle, point of entry, object size and mental state; just some of the variables that affect a bullets overall effectiveness. We’ve all seen the videos of people taking multiple shots from a 9 or 45 and they kept coming.

But those odds increase when you put one in the brain. It’s not absolute but it is more effective than body shots where the affects must accumulate and contribute eventually to organ failure.

Mostly agree, however I'll add that the spine, and the "cone of vulnerability" surrounding it, which is an oval column starting at the base of the spine which goes right up to about 2" below the top of the head, is actually the most reliable/largest target box for switching someone off. Those who have shot a lot of people, and studied the effects of wounds scientifically will teach this - I'm talking about guys like Shrek McPhee and my old boss at SigSauer Academy (former NSW special mission unit and instructor, it's not called "Seal team Six" anymore and hasn't been since the 80s, Devgru neither).

I concur that there is a large degree of randomness in lethality when it comes to lower than rifle velocity firearms like handguns (shotguns with buckshot at certain ranges as well, etc). I disagree with a lot of the mainstream idea that "9mm is as lethal as x, y, z" due to the "advancements in ammunition technology", at least somewhat. The reason for that is does the "advancement" not track across all other rounds? IE if 9mm rounds are made "as good" as say 40 or 45 in terms of lethality due to some magic bullet tech, doesn't adding that same magic bullet tech to say 40, 45, or especially say 357sig or better yet 357/revolver not increase their own lethality by a similar measure?

I know this, when we started selling 357sig 229s to the air marshals and were training them at SigSaeur Academy, their first 5 shootings all resulted in fatalities. Find me another unit or department using 9mm that had 5 engagements in a row which were all lethal stops. Yes, I realize that chance and training played some part here - the marshals have to meet a very high standard when it comes to gun fighting ability - but still, 5 in a row, there had to be some correlation between the added velocity and hence lethality of the 357sig round IMO.

I do believe 9mm is "good enough" with the newer tech rounds and good shot placement, however if I was going into a room I knew I had to fight in, and had to use my handgun, I'd much prefer .357sig or .45 with the best rounds I could get for either, instead of 9mm. Just my opinion.

• Are there any stats that show degree of lethality of 45acp vs 9mm?

We went through this a long time ago at the old site. Statistically the .22lr is the most lethal 1 shot killer eva...

• Armored possum, daddy was an armadillo and his mama smelled of elderberries.