"Climate change is officially dead"

• That guy was probably ready to retire anyways.

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

:this

• probably....hope he wasn't married to his pension

renowned climatologist Bill Nye — and by climatologist, we mean guy who takes pictures of the Weather Channel on his TV and posts them to Twitter as proof of climate change.

• yeah, don't have the ability to extract and properly paste the article right now

renowned climatologist Bill Nye — and by climatologist, we mean guy who takes pictures of the Weather Channel on his TV and posts them to Twitter as proof of climate change.

• I honestly don't care if it is dead as a scientific thing or a policy thing.. to me? the two are indistinguishable where this subject is concerned.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• ok, here it is

In an op-ed for The Wall Street Journal Monday, Steven F. Hayward, senior resident scholar at the Institute of Governmental Studies at the University of California, Berkeley, declared that climate change as a pre-eminent policy issue has officially "run its course." And if you're looking for someone to blame, he suggests, don't look at President Trump, look instead at left-wing activists who've let their social justice and "green utopian vision" sabotage viable solutions.

"All that remains" of the climate change political movement, writes Hayward, "is boilerplate rhetoric from the political class, frivolous nuisance lawsuits, and bureaucratic mandates on behalf of special-interest renewable-energy rent seekers." Most national governments, he explains, have been steadily "backing away from forced-marched decarbonization." The arc of climate change as a policy priority, he declares, can officially be dated from 1988 to 2018.

But while the issue has run its course in the early years of Trump's presidency, he notes, Trump’s decision to pull out of the Paris Agreement "merely ratified a trend long becoming evident." No, Trump isn't to blame for the demise of the issue; in the end, the self-defeating ideological agenda of social justice and climate activists have finally buried it.

"The descent of climate change into the abyss of social-justice identity politics represents the last gasp of a cause that has lost its vitality. Climate alarm is like a car alarm—a blaring noise people are tuning out," writes Hayward. And this collapse of the movement, he explains, was utterly "predictable."

Citing political scientist Anthony Downs' 1972 article for the Public Interest, “Up and Down With Ecology: The ‘Issue-Attention Cycle,’" Hayward lays out the five stages of a political movement, with which climate change has tracked perfectly. It's now suffering the inglorious fifth stage:

• Stage 1: Experts and activists call attention to a public problem.
    • Stage 2: The "alarmed media and political class discover the issue" and often stir up "euphoric enthusiasm ... as activists conceive the issue in terms of global peril and salvation."
    • Stage 3: The "hinge," characterized by "a gradually spreading realization that the cost of ‘solving’ the problem is very high indeed."
    • Stage 4: The "gradual decline in the intensity of public interest in the problem."
    • Stage 5: A "prolonged limbo—a twilight realm of lesser attention or spasmodic recurrences of interest," which often involves "painful trade-offs" that activists simply aren't willing to make.

Climate change is clearly in this fifth and final stage, he explains, where activists are blocking viable solutions as a result of their ideology, including social justice activism and their "utopian" environmental vision:

A case in point is climate campaigners’ push for clean energy, whereas they write off nuclear power because it doesn’t fit their green utopian vision. A new study of climate-related philanthropy by Matthew Nisbet found that of the $556.7 million green-leaning foundations spent from 2011-15, “not a single grant supported work on promoting or reducing the cost of nuclear energy.” The major emphasis of green giving was “devoted to mobilizing public opinion and to opposing the fossil fuel industry.”

If scientists want to be angry with anyone, he writes, they should direct that anger at the Left for politicizing the issue and the international policy community for narrowing what it deems to be acceptable responses.

"Treating climate change as a planet-scale problem that could be solved only by an international regulatory scheme transformed the issue into a political creed for committed believers," he concludes. "Causes that live by politics, die by politics."

• I still maintain that there is no such thing as a climate scientist... there is no degree in climate science.. most of em are just graduates in other things like engineering or political science. It has been a scam from the start.

I said years ago that the outrageous claims of doom and gloom were gonna sink em (so to speak) when deadline after deadline for dire predictions came and went and nothing....NOTHING happened.

lazs

• yep it always was. I also think it was a plot by the brits to make their country great again... to become the arbitrators and experts on the whole thing.

lazs

• Another "green utopian vision" was to stop using petroleum based insulation on auto wiring and using soy based insulation, you would think the tofu eaters would know that tofu is made from soy, soy is food and rodents eat food (soy based wire insulation),

My truck just had $800 worth of damage due to the wiring being eaten by rodents, insurance paid for it (comprehensive).

• Tundras are susceptible to that kind of damage, what do you drive?

Backyard Commandos INC, HMFIC

I disagree but I respect your right to be stupid.

Winners focus on winning, losers focus on winners.

It's hard for liberals with mental disorders to think that other people don't also have the same mental disorders. - Danneskjold 2018

• Why are you opposed to climate change? Is it the messenger? I know you don't know shit about the data, so is it just that it's something that seems like hippies are pushing it on you? Is it that humans are to blame in that cause, and that just can't be so? I don't get the venom. If maybe they could find a country star, and he could give you the facts with a gun on his lap in easy to understand folksy language...would that be easier?

• Let me say a few things about this "Climate Change" Garbage. PBS did a show where a found city was about 5 miles inland in the Middle East. It was determined to be a Port City. That means the Sea Levels were a hell of a lot higher than they are now back in Mesopotamia times. Then they turn around and say that Global Warming is going to kill us all off. Then we go to the "Little Ice Age in the 1200s to 1500s that starved out a heck of a lot of people. That means the Sea Levels dropped because of polar ice forming. Climate Change is just that, it never stays the same. Volcanoes erupt and spew more greenhouse gasses than we could ever try to put out as Humans, earthquakes happen, land even continents move. So a bunch of "Know it All" self proclaimed bought and payed for "Scientists" profuse that "The Science is Settled" means Jack. Opposed to the facts, No. Amused by these busybody Ass wipes claiming we need to Tax the crap out of countries because of "Climate Change" makes me chuckle.

• If the idea of climate change had emerged from Liberty University, and there had been a moving film about farmers worried about their futures, and Hank Williams Jr and the NRA were advocating it, it would be different. You'd be scouring the internet for any source, no matter how dubious, that proves climate change. Your hate would be directed at those smug Libruls that dared not believe it.

My point is that there is an objective truth somewhere. How do you ever find it, when there are so many things unrelated to facts that move your opinion?

• The objective truth is the climate changes...irrespective of what we do.

• Fish is right... Nothing bad has ever happened due to a warmer climate. Embrace the change!

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

:this

• I accept climate change as the one blatant constant.

I deny Homo Sapiens have any effect at all, what so ever.

Only a cuntstain leftist disagrees with me.