Not really conCEALED, but tanker holsters rule

• My new hiking/dog-walking accessory. Not as cumbersome as a regular shoulder holster, added bonus, doesn't hang on your waistband....whoever made it (amazon or something, was $29) did a nice job. Frau informs me we're a-goin hiking today, a, nice break in the rain

renowned climatologist Bill Nye — and by climatologist, we mean guy who takes pictures of the Weather Channel on his TV and posts them to Twitter as proof of climate change.

• That is very cool. I rarely carry out shooting anymore except at the Pheasant club where there be snakes.

These are two WW2 era ones that are reproductions... one is for my 1917 model Smith in 45 acp and the other is for 1911's it is also a shoulder rig but really easy to get on and off the shoulder part is easy on the skin after a day of wear. I have used the ones you have and they are great to get on and off but cut into you a bit after a few hours walking or standing.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• Yeah, I expect that skinny strap WOULD be an issue after a while,...have to test that theory, Barb says she's gonna covert my 8" Remington revolver holster to be carried that way. I can't see ever wearing a standard western 6-gun holster, but I COULD picture this

s-l500.jpg

renowned climatologist Bill Nye — and by climatologist, we mean guy who takes pictures of the Weather Channel on his TV and posts them to Twitter as proof of climate change.

• I can't even stand a standard three point seatbelt... it digs into my neck eventually. Thing about a standard western rig is that there is no such thing. Mostly tho people who carried handguns in the old west had to ride in buggies or on horseback or sit in bars.

Soooo.. the rig in cowboy movies is pretty much a rare deal. The holster of choice was a cross draw. that is the way the cavalry did it to and for good reason. you could get to the gun on horseback and sitting in a chair or buggy was possible. A lot of the holsters were just cut down military rigs.

The chest rig is a recent thing for carrying very large handguns.

I have a drop leg holster I wear in the field now and then. Modern military if anything but it puts the gun down low on the right outside thigh with tie downs. this allows you to sit in a car with it on. It also works good on relatively heavy guns like my 44 mags.

lazs

• The only problem with crossdraw or shoulder holsters is that you 'sweep' people next to you. this can be a problem with striker fired guns but... I don't own any striker fired guns.

lazs

• i've practiced with drop leg, and with typical duty belt type mount. while dropleg initially feels more comfortable(seeing as the pistol's right there at your hand.....in the long run, for me at least......the duty belt type on the hip works best. i'm actually quicker and more accurate from there

• No idea what quicker and more accurate means in your context. If the seat keeps you from drawing the gun then that is not quick. I have to turn and raise my hips to even get to a conventional holster when seated.. this one? I could be in a bean bag chair and reach that big Smith. so I did the next best thing.. here is a lazyboy chair with the 629 44 mag gun. easily accessible. This holster is adjustable for whatever.. I have found that having the butt of the gun fall into my hand is... well.. comforting and I have dispatched a rattler with ease.

lazs

• Ok.. big revolvers are HEAVY... The thigh straps help but if you don't have a belt up to the task then most guns over 2 lbs are gonna be a problem no matter what holster (if it hooks to your belt)

A good double thick mexican belt for everyday wear with a holster is gonna cost $50... no way around that. But.. it will last twice as long or longer than a cheap thin belt.

Does that mean that you won't notice a big ass revolver on you hip? LOl fuck no... The damn gun weighs almost 3 lbs! It shoots 6 rounds of 44 mag that have 1,000 lbs of energy each tho.

sitting? you won't notice it much. I have polished my 629 so that I can use it for a signal mirror. no one in their right mind would not shit their panties if someone drew such a gun on them. it is also capable of hitting man sized targets at 200 yards. ANYWHERE you hit a rattler with it cuts that part off.. shot loads are even easier to deal with snakes in the gun. you could drive all day with this rig and no big deal.. walk all day? well.. it weighs almost 3 lbs so.. no.. gonna drag. Add a shoulder holster with an almost as heavy 1911 and you are packing more than man bun hikers would consider.

lazs

• Ooooohhhh...I can envision a whole new industry: Firearm-friendly furniture. They could even have 1911 holsters built-in, right beside the beer holder

• Um.. that chair you are looking at? has a 1911 holster on each side.. they all come with em. I think they expect yu to put bullshit stuff in the pockets tho.

lazs

• No idea what quicker and more accurate means in your context. If the seat keeps you from drawing the gun then that is not quick. I have to turn and raise my hips to even get to a conventional holster when seated.. this one? I could be in a bean bag chair and reach that big Smith. so I did the next best thing.. here is a lazyboy chair with the 629 44 mag gun. easily accessible. This holster is adjustable for whatever.. I have found that having the butt of the gun fall into my hand is... well.. comforting and I have dispatched a rattler with ease.

lazs

in a chair in my house, the holster is super easy to get to on my waist. in the car? waist or thigh wouldn't matter, 'cause i shoot left hand. the door will be in the way. would need to do some sort of cross draw.

when i mentioned quicker, i meant just out and about.

• crossdraw was a great idea in the 1800's and it is today. If I had a high ride holster for that big Smith the but would be digging into the seatback unless it was a kant forward holster which I really despise. the slowest and least intuitive to draw.

lazs