The AR thread

• I bought my 2nd lower receiver last week and thought it would be helpful to start a thread about ARs and building them here. Here's my current AR15 collection:

All of the components were purchased at gun shows with the exception of the CCMG lower receiver I purchased last week. I built the Olypmic Arms lower (bottom) about 15 years ago. Long enough that the upper I built with it (2nd from the top) had set screws holding the flash suppressor on. That has since been machined and had a threaded flash suppressor installed in the wake of the brady bill expiration.

The Next step is building a new lower this year. The first lower I built was bone stock. This one is going to have a better trigger and stock. I've already identified the lower kit I'm getting:

https://andersonmanufacturing.…h-timney-drop-in-trigger/

• I bought a $49 blem lower, $270 chrome-lined M4 kit, and a flip-up Magpul site from Palmetto, watched a few YouTube videos, managed to do it in an afternoon. Only fuckup was a roll pin I should have pressed in instead of pounded. Nice little rifle

renowned climatologist Bill Nye — and by climatologist, we mean guy who takes pictures of the Weather Channel on his TV and posts them to Twitter as proof of climate change.

• I love the AR-platform for its modularity and all the accessories you can get for it (Barbie doll for men indeed), however I don't like its complexity and tight tolerances; high maintenance and susceptibility to dust and fouling itself (although I do realize that its reliability has been much improved over the years). OTOH I don't much care for the AK-platform's loose tolerances and crudeness, though I would prefer it over the AR.

IMHO the best compromise is the H&K roller-locked (delayed blowback) system used in the G-3 series of battle rifles and assault rifles. No sensitive or complicated gas system, just a violent, recoil operated, heavy bolt carrier with a massive recoil spring and buffer mated to a precisely machined and very accurate bolt and barrel design. the arguably best sniper rifle in the world, the PSG-1 is based on the G-3.

Through one year of mandatory national service, and two wars, this rifle never let me down, never misfired even once. During NATO winter exercise 'Arctic Express' in '94 I fired more than 3,000 rounds through my AG-3 in one day at the Blåtind mountain range without cleaning it. The action is just too violent to let any reasonable amount of crud to stop it. It is so violent that the ejected casings are bent and dented. It just runs, in many ways like an American V8.

This is not in any way "a reasonable amount of crud"; this is a ridiculous amount of crud (and a crappy copy of the G3):

And try doing this with an AK (or the AR, which they actually do try):

Pay special attention to what he says at about 7:50...

Sorry for hijacking your AR-thread with my blatant H&K fanboyism, but this rifle has literally saved my life. <3

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• And despite the power of the 7.62N cartridge and the violence of the action, petite European women can effectively operate the G3... ;)

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• I'd spend all day just watching her balance her checkbook

renowned climatologist Bill Nye — and by climatologist, we mean guy who takes pictures of the Weather Channel on his TV and posts them to Twitter as proof of climate change.

• GScholz wrote:

IIMHO the best compromise is the H&K roller-locked (delayed blowback) system used in the G-3 series of battle rifles and assault rifles. No sensitive or complicated gas system, just a violent, recoil operated, heavy bolt carrier with a massive recoil spring and buffer mated to a precisely machined and very accurate bolt and barrel design. the arguably best sniper rifle in the world, the PSG-1 is based on the G-3.

Heh... When I was in Colombia, we worked with their soldiers. The conscripts had G3s and Galils. The commandos had M4s and M60s. One day we went to the base to treat someone for a gunshot wound to the chest. While we were there one of the conscripts came in with a seriously damaged right index finger. When they prepare to head in for the night, they stand in formation as the Sgt makes them clear their weapons and then inspect that the weapon is clear by running their right index finger across the breach. While one soldier was doing this, the bolt came forward on his finger breaking it. He reacted by jerking his finger back. He no longer has a right index finger.

It was funny that the conscripts laughed at the M16s we had until they held them and felt the weight difference.

I did like the G3s and Galils though. They seemed like solid rifles.

• I can't imagine how any soldier managed to do that, but sure... Stick your fingers in any machine and it will hurt you eventually. I have no problem believing that the G-3 could cost some poor inexperienced fool a finger or two. That recoil spring is long and stiff (not a sexual reference).

The weight difference is significant and I have every respect for what Eugene Stoner tired to do with the M-16 back in the day... However I'd rather lug an extra couple of pounds than have an unreliable, under-powered rifle. Especially considering that the winter gear of a Norwegian conscript is upward of 60 pounds. A couple of pounds is not going to make much of a difference.

• Ok.. mini.. I am traditional so I really like that upper that is in the middle. I do not own one. but I think I am about to... the .300 blackout is calling me... having a guy build me one .. mostly cause it is a California legal thing.

As for the Ar platform being unreliable.... shlotz... have you ever shot one? Here they are common as can be.. people build em and shoot em.. with minimal maintenance they are extremely reliable. I think that is pretty much not a factor.... what is a factor tho is accuracy. the AK platform is not accurate so... worthless really... no bolt hold open ... noisy safety... awkward mag change.. etc.

The reason the AR and the .223 was chosen was more a weight thing than a recoil thing. make that girl carry 300 rounds of 7.62 nato and watch. Without optics 400 yards is about all any open sighted gun is really good for in most hands. But if I want a heavier round than the .223 then I would go with an M110 and optics.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• FN FAL

I know FAL and G3 fanboys will never agree on anything, but in my experience the FAL does nothing the G3 can't do except malfunction. During NATO winter exercises the British were constantly fiddling with the gas regulator on their FALs just to keep them going. If it was really cold one day the FAL was under-gassed and they had to fiddle with it. The next day it was warmer and then they were all over-gassed and had to fiddle with it. At the range as the gun went from being -30 degrees Celsius to really hot after a few magazines they had to fiddle with it. Our AG-3s just worked.

And it's a robust and simple gun. Simple is good.