Plenty of Republicans here

• I don't know what you're talking about. I noticed a bump in my paycheck right away.

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

:this

• Because the corporation you work for had more money to spend and so on. That wasn't my question. They explicitly stated that personal tax cuts would be next. It was, in fact, used to garner support for the corporate tax cuts. I'm not talking about money you get because your company is nice, or the increased exemptions, etc. I am talking about having a different rate. Is this still on?

• Payroll taxes are lower too.

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

• yes

• Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

• 'Splain me this.

So how does part two of the tax plan work? They didn't want to do it all at once, so they did the corporate cuts first. Then they were going to do the personal cuts. Is that in the works?

Get Sluggo to explain what a "tax return" is. :biggrin:laugh

"Spain is made up of 17 autonomous communities, the Canaries being one, so says the Spanish constitution"

- Holden, who had failed to notice that the Spanish Constitution refers to the sovereign state, that being the KINGDOM of Spain. Just one of many examples of its name being abbreviated to "Spain" - incorrectly, in Holden's case.

• We have (had) the highest corporate tax rates in the industrialized world, to the point they were past that invisible line of diminishing returns. International corps are NOW exposing their money to US taxation,, and federal tax receipts are at all time highs

The story of modern America is a person at Starbucks with AirPods in their ears and a half-eaten muffin sending a tweet from their MacBook about why America sucks.

• All of that expires though. The corporate cuts are permanent. I wonder if they will make that a priority?

Correct, it expires. Because not a single democrat wants you to have more money. Because not a single liberal wants to have less tax revenue.

So basically the Republicans had to pass it as an expiring tax cut so that they didn't need 60 votes in the senate.

And yet, even as more people get more money in their paycheck, Democrats lie about it. Even as the CBO's trillions and trillions dollar tax deficit claims fall apart as wrong, Democrats want to get rid of it.

• [Russian midshipmen see the Dallas jumping out of the water]

Russian midshipman: [in Russian] Captain's scared them out of the water!

[the Russians cheer]

I think of that scene constantly when I hear either political side explain what's happening.

• They didn't cut spending at all. You don't need to respond to that, I know it already;

The rising tide will lift all boats. Killary. Dumbocrat. Nancy Pukelocy.

Nevertheless, there is good growth, and wage growth specifically. But, I don't hear anyone speaking about inflation. The reason it isn't permanent is that the Fed needs to raise interest rates. A lot. Wage growth will actually make that worse. That is also going to make debt service for government borrowing more expensive. So, when this comes up for potential renewal, a democrat will probably be in office by then(statistically speaking), and you can be sure it will go away. But strategically, the Republicans don;t have to take the blame for it, and they didn't have to get brave and cut real spending.

If the Republicans won't address spending, who will? As long as the fed exists, as long as there is an income tax, and as long as there is no courage to face spending, the country will stay in a state of fuckedness. All the cute clur names and cheerleading in the world won't change that.

• They can overcome the 60 vote rule anytime they want. They don't because then the Democrats will do it next time they are in power. But really, do you think they really want to cut Medicare? Defense spending, Social Security? Those are the big line items.

I want a nice new full size sedan. Something to haul Ma around with, has a little more room. Expensive though. So, I am going to borrow to buy it. On an adjustable rate too, as interest rates are climbing and my debt far exceeds my income. And, for kicks, I am going to cut back on all that work I do. I feel like I just make waaaay too much money, and besides, why not just borrow!

Now, cheer for me-

• Spending much harder to cut, as our annual budget fights are only about 40% of the total. The other 60% is automated

The story of modern America is a person at Starbucks with AirPods in their ears and a half-eaten muffin sending a tweet from their MacBook about why America sucks.

• So fishie.... are you saying that you don't like the new lower rates? for everyone? In my opinion Trump got the best deal he could the best possible... I think that once we all get used to the new rate it will be easy to force it to be permanent.

Remember... the demoncrats were fighting this because they told everyone that they would not get anything out of it and that it would sink the country. The exact opposite is proving to be true... it is exposing the democrats.

And... there are several right wingers here that think Trump is really a democrat plant and not presidential enough... most here think the republicans are not republican enough.

These are the realities. If you do not think he did good enough then please explain to me the way you would have done it.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• Newly created posts will remain inaccessible for others until approved by a moderator.

The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.