Adam Corolla making sense.

• I'm also an agnostic apathist... I don't really care if there is a god or gods because if they do exist they clearly don't give a shit what goes on down here on Earth.

C'mon, you of all people should believe in Odin, he promised no Ice Giants and he delivered.

• OOOOODIN!!! .... Well, no. He may have been an actual person back in the day, kinda like Buddha, but I doubt it. That said, Valhalla sure seems a lot more fun than Heaven. The Christian idea of heaven is basically Viking Hell...

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• And?

It's obvious to me...

Atheism means 'no god'

Agnosticism mean not knowing.

Agnostic Atheist means not knowing if there is no god, and by extension not knowing there is a god.

If you do not know there is or isn't a god, then why use 'atheist' when you are agnostic?

• Atheism means 'no god' - I do not believe in any god. I.e. I find it highly unlikely there is a god.

Agnosticism mean not knowing. - I realize I cannot prove there is no god so therefore I cannot claim to know there's no god.

So I'm an agnostic atheist. A man who does not believe in god, but is willing to change his view if presented with convincing evidence.

And agnostic theist is the opposite: A man that believes in god but does knot know, and is not sure.

A 'true' agnostic don't know what he believes in.

Why is that so difficult to understand?

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• It's only difficult for the "atheists".

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

• A 'true' agnostic don't know what he believes in.

There is a difference in not believing in the existence and believing in the non-existence

A true agnostic realizes the futility of trying to prove the existence of God, admits not knowing and therefore does not believe in the unknowable.

An atheist believes.

• I believe in the non-existence of a god or gods, or at least in gods that intervene or interfere in earthly matters. The evidence of absence is overwhelming. That makes me an atheist. True atheists claim that there is no chance of there being a god. I however do not. I think there is a chance, albeit a very small one. That makes me an agnostic atheist. It not about knowing or not knowing; it's about what is likely, what is reasonable to believe given the evidence or evidence of absence.

A true agnostic believes that trying to prove the existence of God is futile. It may not be. If you think otherwise you'd have to know that trying to prove the existence of God is futile, and you can't possibly do that.

The post was edited 1 time, last by GScholz ().

• I believe in the non-existence of a god or gods, or at least in gods that intervene or interfere in earthly matters. The evidence of absence is overwhelming.

Maybe he is right next to you but he is just a jerk and is ignoring you.

Proving a negative is pretty daunting. If non-existence or existence could be proven I think it would have been.

• To many, perhaps even most atheist non-existence has been proven beyond a doubt by the evidence of absence.

"In some circumstances it can be safely assumed that if a certain event had occurred, evidence of it could be discovered by qualified investigators. In such circumstances it is perfectly reasonable to take the absence of proof of its occurrence as positive proof of its non-occurrence." — Copi, Introduction to Logic.

• "In some circumstances it can be safely assumed"

assume: to take for granted or without proof:

• Yes and that's enough in some cases to send people to jail. And for most atheists to be as sure as can be in the non-existence of god.

• Sounds like a leap of faith, to me...

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. — C.S. Lewis

• A belief for sure. Faith not so much. Faith is an irrational belief or trust in a particular system of religious belief.

• Yeah?

• You may feel that "everything in nature points to an intelligent creator." That does not make it so. You may look at a very complex system that is run by noting more than the laws of physics and think that there must be an intelligence governing it. That does not make it so. Where do you see order in nature? More than 99 percent of all species, amounting to over five billion species, that ever lived on Earth are estimated to be extinct. Is that the result of order? Is that an indicator of intelligent design? Hardly.