Newest low observable paint/coating on Falcons

• We have wondered on these forums (and the previous ones) when they'd start taking Stealth Paint and start painting normal non-stealth Planes.

The vast majority of the cost of a stealth plane is maintaining the RAM cost, so is the increase in cost between the F-35 and the F-16 worth the increase in radar cross section?

• Short answer is yes.

The thing is... the F35 is so much more than a stealthy Gen 5 aircraft. The avionics package and sensor suite are on a completely different level than anything that currently exists.

So yeah, you're going to pay accordingly for the tech advances... hopefully it works as advertised and they build a shitload of them, thus bringing unit cost down to a more reasonable level.

• Short answer is yes.

The thing is... the F35 is so much more than a stealthy Gen 5 aircraft. The avionics package and sensor suite are on a completely different level than anything that currently exists.

So yeah, you're going to pay accordingly for the tech advances... hopefully it works as advertised and they build a shitload of them, thus bringing unit cost down to a more reasonable level.

So then why not put the modern avionics in a Gen 5 plane? (Btw, those avionics are currently failing left and right.)

• They are quietly retiring A10s already according to every defense journal out there, google it and you'll get a phone book of recent articles. Ridiculous IMO, as the F35 can't do that job, it just isn't designed to be in the weeds in small arms and light AAA threat areas, nor does it have the 30mm gun, or the loiter time, although from my friend who has flown the F35 and done all the training in the USA for it says the F35 does loiter pretty well (he's the CO of Canada's Air Force test squadron and has flown 1/2 dozen modern fighters both at Empire test pilot school and with exchanges with the RAF and USAF and USN in the last 23 years he's been a Hornet pilot here). The cost to re wing all the A10s is only 1/2 a squadron of F35s, it's ridiculous they aren't keeping them, as losing them = losing an entire CAS capability, and the Army/Marines will and should be pissed about losing that.

F35 despite it's continuing problems, has great potential ( I hope) and if the results from exercises mean anything, it's going to eventually do pretty well. I've not seen a pilot bash it who has moved to it, they can't ALL be full of shit and just walking the party line.

• The greatest potential of the F-35, is that after all the shit it has been through, is going through, and will go through before the first JSF is even service ready, the cost per plane is actually marching downwards.

It's still a flaming bag of dogshit that will get knocked out the sky by the first country that can field stealth fighters of its own (thank god Russia and Japan aren't making AND SELLING their own stealth fighters, with China hot on their tail [/s]), but at least it will go down in flames cheaply!

• The A-10 is in the middle of inter service rivalry, the airforce claims rights to all* fixed wing planes ands the A-10 is not a high speed hero dogfighter, it's the ground support plane. The airforce want's to spend it's budget on fighters, not dirt machines. The A-10 should be turned over to the army and marines that need it.

I always thought the government should have kept the army air corps and not created the airforce.

* except navy and marines.

• Actually I saw Vipers with Have Glass paint jobs at least five years ago. Whatever reduces your RCS is a good thing. Especially in wild weasel birds, and I understand these Vipers are custom fitted for that role. It is expensive though; prolly why we don't see more legacy jets with Have Glass.

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• What Gman said about the hog. Maybe it is just that the 'hog' in the name gets me.

If I were flying one in the middle east I would give it a pig snout paint job.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• The F-35 doesn't have to do the A-10 job. CAS is going to drones, and low cost Super Tucano platforms. You don't need a twin turbine, 30mm tank killer that runs $12,000/hr when you can do the exact same job blowing up hajii for $1k to $1500 an hour.