Random photo of the day

• Depending on what you are wanting to spend, take a look on craigslist and see if you can find a decent used MIG welder. Now you can use solid wire with a shield gas, flux core wire with out a shield gas, or dual shield.

If you want something new, maybe look into a hobart at tractor supply, it is the same thing as a miller but watered down feature wise.

Ah, now that's the piece of information that always seems to get misplaced. So it's not worth running a Mig Welder if you'd only be doing flux core wire? I just don't want to be dragging around a big bottle for my small amount of work.

• Mig is great for guys like me who really don't weld a lot. They are small and light and the 110 volt machines perform very well.

I started with a cheap Harbor Freight flux core machine... paid like $90 for it and sold it years later for $90

I agree with Astro that the Tractor Supply Hobart 110 is the way to go for price. that is what I have now. You can buy small tanks of gas but they run out fairly quickly. and if you leave the gas on they will most likely be empty the next day.

I did what #7 did and got a large bottle for the garage. Been well over a year and not put a dent in the capacity yet... course... I don't weld a lot.

The difference between flux and gas is that flux is really ugly... splatter everywhere. Weld is just as strong but ugly... the good about flux is you can weld outdoors in the wind.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• yeah... that is what I used and it worked pretty good... a lot of splatter but cleaned up fairly nice.

With the cheap flux core machines you get sometimes nice looking welds and sometimes pretty ugly ones. I think it takes more skill to run a flux core machine well than a gas one.

lazs

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

Pancho Villa, last words (1877 - 1923)

• Ah, now that's the piece of information that always seems to get misplaced. So it's not worth running a Mig Welder if you'd only be doing flux core wire? I just don't want to be dragging around a big bottle for my small amount of work.

Me personally I would get a mig, keep in mind you can run flux core through it, just because I might want to run some solid wire through it.

Storch, I am going to check into that.

• one of my machines is a 211 autoset. Great machine for both flux and solid. With good quality and tips (tip size is very important, no matter what your wife says) splatter is easily removed, if even there at all. I never use the autoset function.

• LOL, I was gonna ask you about the autoset because I've never used it either. I've never been a fan of flux core wire but maybe I've been using the wrong shit.

• I run it manual as well. I think the esab is better. My nephew just picked up a miller 200 ac/dc with a tig pedal. I just might claim seniority on his ass. It weighs like 30lb. We paid like $2100.

I'll report.

• First tig I ever ran was a syncrowave 200. That was around 1988 and the old man still uses it today.

• now the noeitawls can critique but that Chinese material must be mixed from part new and scrap because the extrusions always contain contamination. Makes for tough welding if pretty is important. Those are brackets that won't be seen.

• That money would be better spent on a sack of Arby’s roast beef sandwiches to go.

He really needs to get over this phobia.

Hold the cheese, of course.

Backyard Commandos INC, HMFIC

I disagree but I respect your right to be stupid.

Winners focus on winning, losers focus on winners.

It's hard for liberals with mental disorders to think that other people don't also have the same mental disorders. - Danneskjold 2018